Dermatology

Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience?

Is Mohs only for skin cancer?

Yes, Mohs is a widely used method of surgically removing the most common types of skin cancers, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. It is currently not used to remove noncancerous growths. Less frequently, Mohs may also be used for other malignant tumors. In special cases, Mohs may be used to surgically treat malignant melanoma, lentigo maligna, dermatofirosarcoma protuberans, Merkel cell carcinoma, microcystic adnexal carcinoma, malignant trichoepithelioma, angiosarcoma, atypical fibroxanthoma, and other cancerous skin tumors. However, most Mohs surgeons treat primarily basal and squamous cell cancers by this technique.

Return to Mohs Surgery

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

It is eight months since Mohs surgery on top of my head. The skin cancer was very tiny and superficial but what a mess Mohs has caused to my head! I still have to wear hats to cover up the mess to my head. The surgeon has cut on my head numerous times since Mohs, I had to get staples a few times and sutures a few times. When the hole on top of my head finally grows back together, they will have a hard time talking me into Mohs surgery ever again!

Stay Informed!