Mohs Surgery - Experience

Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

Is Mohs only for skin cancer?

Yes, Mohs is a widely used method of surgically removing the most common types of skin cancers, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. It is currently not used to remove noncancerous growths. Less frequently, Mohs may also be used for other malignant tumors. In special cases, Mohs may be used to surgically treat malignant melanoma, lentigo maligna, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, Merkel cell carcinoma, microcystic adnexal carcinoma, malignant trichoepithelioma, angiosarcoma, atypical fibroxanthoma, and other cancerous skin tumors. However, most Mohs surgeons treat primarily basal and squamous cell cancers by this technique.

Return to Mohs Surgery

Comment from: sunny San Diego, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have recently had 2 Mohs surgeries. One was 3 months ago for a basal cell cancer on the bridge of my nose and the second surgery was 4 days ago on my forehead. Both times I had significant swelling and bruising around my eyes. I have a high tolerance for pain and was not given any pain medications either time. The surgery on my nose was extremely painful and I really could have used at least 2 pain pills. I wear glasses and the swelling was so bad that I couldn't wear my glasses, thus wasn't able to work for 3 days after each surgery. Despite my application of ice packs for 15 minutes every hour the swelling was totally out of control. I have had several basal cell and squamous cell cancers removed without Mohs surgery and never had this much pain and swelling. I am hoping that I don't need to have Mohs again.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I had Mohs surgery for a basal cell cancer on my lower left eyelid and had a plastic surgeon do the closure the day after Mohs. It has been three weeks and I'm very happy with the results. I was nervous before the surgery because it was so close to my eye but it actually was not that bad.