Mohs Surgery - Experience

Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

Is Mohs only for skin cancer?

Yes, Mohs is a widely used method of surgically removing the most common types of skin cancers, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. It is currently not used to remove noncancerous growths. Less frequently, Mohs may also be used for other malignant tumors. In special cases, Mohs may be used to surgically treat malignant melanoma, lentigo maligna, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, Merkel cell carcinoma, microcystic adnexal carcinoma, malignant trichoepithelioma, angiosarcoma, atypical fibroxanthoma, and other cancerous skin tumors. However, most Mohs surgeons treat primarily basal and squamous cell cancers by this technique.

Return to Mohs Surgery

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I had Mohs surgery for a basal cell cancer on my lower left eyelid and had a plastic surgeon do the closure the day after Mohs. It has been three weeks and I'm very happy with the results. I was nervous before the surgery because it was so close to my eye but it actually was not that bad.

Comment from: Wade, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Unfortunately the doctor did not tell me to stay calm and keep my head up with little strain. I did the exact opposite and strained at a project on my knees with head down the day after my Mohs surgery. Don't do that. One side of the cut puffed up significantly and the following day it was very bruised looking all around the cut. I saw what looked like some dried blood in my mustache which was two inches from the cut. Two days later that turned into a mark about an inch wide that went halfway down my throat. So far (fifth day) I feel ok but am not inclined to much activity. This showed up bad on New Year's Day and now it is the weekend so the doctor is problematic.