Mohs Surgery - Experience

Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

Is Mohs only for skin cancer?

Yes, Mohs is a widely used method of surgically removing the most common types of skin cancers, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. It is currently not used to remove noncancerous growths. Less frequently, Mohs may also be used for other malignant tumors. In special cases, Mohs may be used to surgically treat malignant melanoma, lentigo maligna, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, Merkel cell carcinoma, microcystic adnexal carcinoma, malignant trichoepithelioma, angiosarcoma, atypical fibroxanthoma, and other cancerous skin tumors. However, most Mohs surgeons treat primarily basal and squamous cell cancers by this technique.

Return to Mohs Surgery

Comment from: Susiegale, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had Mohs surgery on the side of my nose on June 24, 2015. It is still healing. The worst part of the whole experience was the shots to deaden the area. They are extremely painful. The doctor said the second round of shots wouldn't hurt as much because the area was already deadened. It would have been had they not made me wait two hours between the procedures. The area was not deadened and the second shots hurt just as much as the first. Right now the wound area looks as if it going to heal properly. I don't know about a scar at this time but it will be small if there is one.

Comment from: sharpmama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a small sore/lesion on the tip of my nose. I noticed it about 1 1/2 years ago, thinking I must have scratched myself or something. It then would bleed and take forever to form a scab. It would eventually fall off but then it would start all over again. I had another lesion on my upper lip that my regular doctor tried to freeze off numerous times, but it came back over and over. About 3 months ago I saw a dermatologist, and they biopsied four areas, 3 of which were diagnosed as basal cell carcinoma. They scheduled two MOHS for the facial ones. The nose MOHS required four levels, the lip just one. The 3rd was on my arm and was excised normally. I found that the procedure was not painful at all (other than the initial numbing shots). Perhaps I am lucky to have seen a really good dermatologist, but my nose procedure was done just over a month ago and has been healing very quickly (despite my 65 years and other medical problems). The doctor was initially going to use a skin graft, but because it was healing so well on its own, we discussed and decided not to do the graft. With how well it was doing he thought it will look better healing on its own. And I agreed. I am now leaving it uncovered for part of the day, though I keep a film of an ointment /healing agent (Sonafine) on it, and expect it to be totally healed in a month or two. I do bandage it when I go out for now. As for nerves, I can tell there was probably a nerve or two cut on the top part of the nose as it feels totally numb, but it doesn't really bother me at all. I am very glad I took care of these. Basal cell carcinoma may not metastasize, but they can be invasive, and when you have them on your face, head, and neck areas, it's possible they could cause serious problems. You just don't know. I plan to have regular checks.