Esophageal Manometry - Side Effects

Did you experience discomfort or other side effects after your esophageal manometry?

What are the side-effects of esophageal manometry?

Although esophageal manometry is uncomfortable, the procedure is minimally painful because the nostril through which the tube is inserted is anesthetized. Once the tube is in place, patients talk and breathe normally. The side-effects of esophageal manometry are minor and include mild sore throat, nosebleeds, and, uncommonly, sinus problems due to irritation and blockage of the ducts leading from the sinuses and into the nose. Occasionally, during insertion, the tube may enter the larynx (voice box) and cause choking. When this happens, the problem usually is recognized immediately, and the tube is rapidly removed. Care must be used in passing the tube in patients who are unable to easily swallow on command because without a swallow to relax the upper esophageal sphincter the tube often doesn't enter the esophagus but instead may enter the larynx.

Return to Esophageal Manometry

Comment from: Foxi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was on Plavix and asked repeatedly if this would be a problem for esophageal manometry and but it was. They banged a few times in my sinus area and came out. It caused me to bleed profusely and I ended up in ICU for 6 days to make sure they had stopped the bleed. I was packed from the front and from inside the mouth to shut it down. Not fun!

Comment from: Lovie65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

Nausea was rough after esophageal manometry. I also had an upset stomach and right eye was swollen, same side as the nostril used.