Cystoscopy and Ureteroscopy - Experience

What was your experience during your cystoscopy or ureteroscopy? Did you experience discomfort? Please explain.

Please select the white circle:

How is a cystoscopy or ureteroscopy performed?

After an appropriate anesthetic is given, the doctor gently inserts the tip of the cystoscope or ureteroscope into the urethra and slowly glides it up into the bladder. A sterile liquid-water or salt water, called saline-flows through the scope to slowly fill the bladder and stretch it so the doctor has a better view of the bladder wall.

As the bladder is filled with liquid, patients feel some discomfort and the urge to urinate. The doctor may then release some of the fluid, or the patient may empty the bladder as soon as the examination is over.

The time from insertion of the scope to removal may be only a few minutes, or it may be longer if the doctor finds a stone and decides to treat it. Taking a biopsy-a small tissue sample for examination with a microscope-will also make the procedure last longer. In most cases, the entire examination, including preparation, takes 15 to 30 minutes.

Return to Cystoscopy and Ureteroscopy

Comment from: Yowzaa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

Run for the woods folks! I had a cystoscopy to remove a bladder stone. I wish he left it in my bladder after the trauma to my penis I experienced. Not a mild burning, it is a major burning like I was peeing hot lava.

Comment from: wawona, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Despite being rather apprehensive about the cystoscopy procedure; it was relatively painless and easy to handle. The preparatory work before the procedure went quickly and I was able to see the inside of my bladder on a monitor. Luckily the results of the test were negative for any bleeding and hence a relief.