Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators - Experience

How long did it take you to recover after your cardioverter defibrillator was implanted? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

Living with an ICD.

After recovering fully from the ICD implantation, most patients can resume normal activities, including exercise and sex. The doctor should prescribe the type and intensity of the exercise. The doctor also decides when the patient can return to work.

Every patient is given an ICD identification card. The ID card contains information regarding the ICD and instructions in case of an emergency. The card should be carried in the patient's wallet at all times and shown to other doctors and dentists. Occasionally, it will need to be shown to security officers at the airport.

Return to Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators

Comment from: Island Girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had cardiac arrest march 8th at the age of 47. They say it was from having a virus. I just dropped dead in the middle of the night in the bathroom. My sons heard me collapse and started CPR right away until the paramedics came. I died 4 times on the way to hospital and being air evacuated to a bigger hospital with the top cardiologists in the province. I was given 1 to 2% chance of survival. They installed a cardioverter defibrillator 2 weeks later and it is doing good. I"m just trying to get used to it as it"s so close to my collar bone and sleeping is hard.

Comment from: Rebel, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I needed absolutely no recovery time after my cardioverter defibrillator was implanted. I was told not to reach overhead or lift over ten pounds. I was also restricted from driving or riding lawn mower. I have used yard and garden tools after one month. I have used an electric chain saw a little, but not a gasoline saw.