Pinched Nerve - Treatment

What treatment have you had for your pinched nerve? Did it help?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for a pinched nerve?

The treatment of a pinched nerve depends upon the location and the cause. Resting the affected area is often very effective, especially in cases of injury caused by repetitive activities. Physical therapy is frequently beneficial when a pinched nerve is caused by problems in the neck or low back. Exercises may strengthen the back or core muscles and decrease or eliminate pressure on a nerve root. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and naproxen may be helpful. Injections of corticosteroids (an anti-inflammatory medication) may also be beneficial for many types of pinched nerves.

For cases of carpal tunnel syndrome, splinting or bracing the wrist is often used. In cases of ulnar neuropathy or common peroneal neuropathy, learning to change body positions may be required to achieve the best outcome.

Weight loss can be of benefit for many types of pinched nerves.

Surgery may be required to release pressure on the nerve if it fails to respond to medication, splinting, physical therapy, or injections. The specific type of surgery depends upon the nerve involved. However, the goal of the surgery is the same, to eliminate or relieve the pressure on the affected nerve.

Return to Pinched Nerve

Comment from: ljmn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have a C-spine pinched nerve, which causes pain in my arm. I tried physiotherapy, which didn"t help a bit. The best thing is to go for the cortisone epidural shot. I have now been pain free for over a year (I have also been very careful using my arm). You can have up to 3 shots to make sure it takes effect. I usually have 2 and they are generally given at least 2 weeks apart. It"s painful, but worth it!