Knee Pain - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?

Please select the black triangle:

What are knee pain symptoms and signs?

The location of the knee pain can vary depending on which structure is involved. With infection, the whole knee might be swollen and painful, while a torn meniscus or fracture of a bone gives symptoms only in one specific location.

The severity of the pain can vary as well from a minor ache to a severe and disabling pain.

Some of the other findings that accompany knee pain are

• difficulty walking due to instability of the knee,
  • locking of the knee (unable to bend the knee),
  • redness and swelling,
  • inability to extend the knee.
Return to Knee Pain

Comment from: Shell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had chronic worsening knee pain for three months, and have been wheelchair dependent since July last year. My specialists are playing pass the buck with me as they can"t work out whether it's the rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia or Sjogren's that"s causing it. I just had normal x-rays back, but not had an MRI or arthroscopy yet. Pain is horrific and I can"t take most of the pain relief available due to gastritis or allergy to. I have no idea how to find out the cause or to get treatment. All I can say is, don"t have several conditions at once! It seems to make things much harder when looking for diagnosis and treatment!

Comment from: Chasity, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

My knee pain was caused from falling. It started 2 years ago before l found out I had torn my ACL. I had to have surgery and four months of therapy.