Knee Pain - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?

Please select the black square:

What are knee pain symptoms and signs?

The location of the knee pain can vary depending on which structure is involved. With infection, the whole knee might be swollen and painful, while a torn meniscus or fracture of a bone gives symptoms only in one specific location.

The severity of the pain can vary as well from a minor ache to a severe and disabling pain.

Some of the other findings that accompany knee pain are

• difficulty walking due to instability of the knee,
  • locking of the knee (unable to bend the knee),
  • redness and swelling,
  • inability to extend the knee.
Return to Knee Pain

Comment from: Montana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My knee pain symptoms are pain when doing stairs, especially going down stairs pain when getting up from a sitting position and pain upon kneeling also terrible grinding noises going up the stairs. I now have to use a cane to go up and down my stairs, and I exercise 4-6 times a week. Regular walking doesn't hurt so much, but sometimes my knee aches so badly at night it inhibits sleep. My insurance is effective in January so I will see the doc then, as it has been almost 2 years of gradually increasing pain in my knees! Though the left knee is considerably worse.

Comment from: Grace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I tripped 9 months ago and the pain in the right knee has worsened over the months where I am off work sick. I have had an MRI scan and am awaiting result.