Vertigo - Treatment

What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for vertigo?

Some of the most effective treatments for peripheral vertigo include particle repositioning movements. The most well-known of these treatments is the Epley maneuver or canalith repositioning procedure. During this treatment, specific head movements lead to movement of the loose crystals (canaliths) within the inner ear. By repositioning these crystals, they cause less irritation to the inner ear and symptoms can resolve. Because these movements can initially lead to worsening of the vertigo, they should be done by an experienced health care professional or physical therapist.

Cawthorne head exercises, or vestibular rehabilitation habituation exercises, are a series of eye and head movements which lead to decreased sensitivity of the nerves within the inner ear and subsequent improvement of vertigo. These simple movements need to be practiced by the patient on a regular basis for best results.

Medications may provide some relief, but are not recommended for long-term use. Meclizine is often prescribed for persistent vertigo symptoms, and may be effective. Benzodiazepine medications like diazepam (Valium) are also effective but may cause significant drowsiness as a side effect. Other medications may be used to decrease nausea or vomiting. It is should be recognized that medications can provide symptomatic relief, but are not considered "cures" for vertigo.

Return to Vertigo

Comment from: susieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

The 1st time I had vertigo it was early morning and I was still sleeping. It woke me up. My eyes were closed but I had that awful spinning sensation. When it stopped spinning I ran to the bathroom to vomit. I remember I had to wrap my arms around the toilet since I felt like I was being pulled away from it. I didn't know what it was since I never had it so I stayed in bed for a week just crawling to the restroom and kept a bucket by my bed to vomit. When I was okay enough to go to the doctor they gave me Activert but by that time I didn't need it. It happened again a few month later and when I took the Activert it was gone the next day. I noticed that when I bent my head to the right everything would spin. Over the next ten years I had 2 more episodes and this time it was my left side. Now 10 years later it came back and I have had it for 2 weeks. The Activert doesn't help and I was given exercises to do that didn't help. This time it's when I look up or down that triggers it. The doctor gave me 5 mg of Valium to try and so far that's not helping. MRI showed nothing so I'm just going to wait it out and hope it goes away.

Comment from: Nomorevertigo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had chronic vertigo 4 years ago. It was so bad that I couldn't walk properly. I went and saw an acupuncturist and over a few months he was able to eradicate it. Every now and then I find it creeping back mildly, so he treats it accordingly. Please, before drugs or anything else - go and see a good acupuncturist.