Vertigo - Causes

Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo?

What causes vertigo?

There are a number of different causes of vertigo. Vertigo can be defined based upon whether the cause is peripheral or central. Central causes of vertigo arise in the brain or spinal cord while peripheral vertigo is due to a problem within the inner ear. The inner ear can become inflamed because of illness, or small crystals or stones found normally within the inner ear can become displaced and cause irritation to the small hair cells within the semicircular canals, leading to vertigo. This is known as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

Meniere's disease, vertigo associated with hearing loss and tinnitus (ringing in the ear), is caused by fluid buildup within the inner ear; the cause of this fluid accumulation is unknown. Head injuries may lead to damage to the inner ear and be a cause of vertigo. Infrequently, strokes affecting certain areas of the brain, multiple sclerosis, or tumors may lead to an onset of vertigo. Some patients with a type of migraine headache called basilar artery migraine may develop vertigo as a symptom.

Return to Vertigo

Comment from: carol d, Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I started have vertigo attacks about 2 years ago. I blamed it on a recent surgery for removal of part of my lung. The first one was strong, it pushed me to the floor. The rest of them were slight and manageable. I had another one today; a bad one. I held on to the table near to me, unable to walk for several minutes. Also, my face felt like a severe blush, a feeling of heat going through my whole body. Two hours later, I still feel unsteady. I am totally recovered from my surgery and don't know why this is happening.

Comment from: AceRockol, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I had vertigo off and on for 7 weeks, always when I lay down on my right side in bed. I went to an ENT doctor, and he said it's either the crystals, or my neck. I have degenerative disk disease in a couple of neck vertebrae, as well as scoliosis. I'm really hoping it's the crystals and not my neck. Getting old is painful.