Vertigo - Symptoms

Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?

Please select the white circle:

What are the signs and symptoms of vertigo?

The symptoms of vertigo include a sense of spinning or moving. These symptoms can be present even when someone is perfectly still. Movement of the head or body, like rolling over in bed, can escalate or worsen the symptoms. The symptoms are different from lightheadedness or a sense of fainting. Many people experience associated nausea or vomiting.

Physical examination often shows signs of abnormal eye movements, called nystagmus. Some patients experience imbalance in association with the vertigo. If imbalance lasts for more than a few days, or if the vertigo is accompanied by weakness or incoordination of one side of the body, the suspicion of stroke or other problem of the brain is much higher. In those cases, prompt evaluation is recommended.

Return to Vertigo

Comment from: My wife Ling, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have been diagnosed by the local government clinic to be suffering from vertigo. Yes, nausea, vomiting and spinning sensation were the problems I went through that day. I was rested by the doctor and was administered a drip. After that when I felt much better I was asked to go back home. Now I am worried that this illness will recur.

Comment from: AThompson, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just had a severe vertigo experience that lasted about 3 hours in the hospital. It was my second time, but this was much worse; extreme nausea, dizziness, extreme weakness to the point of almost passing out (I could hear but could not respond), and even hallucinating, as the room moved in weird ways in addition to the spinning if I opened my eyes. All the tests done showed no indications of heart or brain malfunction. I was told it happens more with age. I am 78.