Vertigo - Symptoms

Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?

What are the signs and symptoms of vertigo?

The symptoms of vertigo include a sense of spinning or moving. These symptoms can be present even when someone is perfectly still. Movement of the head or body, like rolling over in bed, can escalate or worsen the symptoms. The symptoms are different from lightheadedness or a sense of fainting. Many people experience associated nausea or vomiting.

Physical examination often shows signs of abnormal eye movements, called nystagmus. Some patients experience imbalance in association with the vertigo. If imbalance lasts for more than a few days, or if the vertigo is accompanied by weakness or incoordination of one side of the body, the suspicion of stroke or other problem of the brain is much higher. In those cases, prompt evaluation is recommended.

Return to Vertigo

Comment from: seadog Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

When I roll to my right I spin out of control, cannot walk, and throw up because of vertigo. When I push on my head my right ear rings worse than ever.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have always had this vertigo since I was a child, like car sickness and only can sit on the passenger side when riding in backseat. Recently I had a plane ride and was very dizzy when I got up to exit plane both trips. I could barely stand as I was so off balance. Lately I have been joining the kids in their pool and after about 30 minutes of floating on back and swimming under water, when I stand up I have been dizzy and nauseous. Seems to happen every time I try to join them in the pool.