TIPS Procedure - Complications

Please describe your experience with TIPS procedure complications.

Please select the white circle:

What are the complications of TIPS?

There are two important complications of the TIPS procedure. The first is hepatic encephalopathy, a condition in which it is believed that toxic products from the intestines (for example, ammonia) that are normally removed from the blood by the liver remain in the blood and are delivered to the brain. (The TIPS allows the toxin-containing blood to bypass the liver.) The effects on the brain can vary from minor alterations in thinking to full coma.

A second complication is heart failure due to the sudden increase in the amount of blood returning to the heart through the shunt. The heart is unable to pump the returning blood fast enough, resulting in heart failure.

Finally, one complication may be caused by the shunt itself; problems such as infection and shunt occlusion, requiring placement of another shunt.

Return to TIPS (Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt)

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with liver disease in 2010 and had severe gastrointestinal bleed. They placed a TIPS and I have MRIs and blood work every 6 months. My TIPS procedure has been a life saver, I have it checked regularly and I am still here. The specialist I see said I may need a new one in 8 years. But I hope that by then I will be doing good to have another TIPS, it can be a lifesaver.

Comment from: Hepatic Heather, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My mom passed recently from nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver. When the hepatologist offered TIPS as a way to keep my mom around longer, she decided it was not for her. She already had congestive heart failure and hepatic encephalopathy. Having this procedure would cause both problems to worsen. I have NASH stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver. I have congestive heart failure and suffer from hepatic encephalopathy just like my mom. My hepatologist has made the decision for me in that the TIPS procedure would be "too problematic to consider TIPS placement." It does not make sense to me as a caregiver at one time and a patient since 2008 that TIPS should even be considered as it appears to be a "last ditch effort" by the doctors to keep you alive (until you pass or you are on a liver transplant list).