TMJ - Causes

What causes your TMJ symptoms?

Please select the white circle:

What causes TMJ syndrome?

The causes of TMJ syndrome are not completely understood. Multiple factors contribute to the muscle tightness and dysfunction that characterize this condition. It is not clear whether some of these causes directly lead to TMJ syndrome or if they are a result of the disorder. Causes may include

• misalignment (malocclusion) of or trauma to the teeth or jaw,
  • teeth grinding (bruxism),
  • poor posture,
  • stress or anxiety,
  • arthritis and other inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders,
  • excessive gum chewing.
Return to Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have been a snorer for many years and have tried many things to stop. Recently I purchased a Snorer's Friend (mandibular advancement device) similar to a mouth guard which is worn at night. It keeps the jaw in a forward position and really DOES help to stop snoring!! But I found I had a lot of pain each morning and it took hours for my teeth to re-align. Unfortunately I persisted in wearing the device and even after three weeks of stopping its use I have jaw, ear and head pain.

Comment from: Oophor Doophor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have dealt with TMJD pain for years. Never having a lot of money and knowing the issues with treating it, I have just dealt with the pain. I have a very tight jaw always. You could massage for an hour and I still can't let it go. I believe it is habitual when I am stressed and I do grind my teeth at night. I finally indirectly got relief when I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. When I was first tested it was considered extremely low, just under a 9. Within three months of therapy for the vitamin D I nearly doubled my levels and My TMJD pain was nearly all gone. I don't know why and I am sure science does not know why yet, but the jaw is a large joint. And the muscles surrounding it are fairly large too. Vitamin D deficiency does cause bone and muscle pain. Please ask your doctor to test you especially if you have any other symptoms for vitamin D deficiency, brain fog, depression, bone pain.