TMJ - Symptoms

Besides pain, what TMJ symptoms do you experience?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of TMJ syndrome?

The main symptom of TMJ syndrome is pain in the jaw joint. This joint is located just in front of the ear and pain associated with TMJ syndrome may involve the face, eye, forehead, ear, or neck. Signs and symptoms of TMJ syndrome include:

• Pain in the jaw, especially at the area of the joint
  • Popping/clicking of the jaw
  • Ear pain
  • Ringing or popping sounds in the ears
  • Headaches
  • Blurred vision
  • Tight or sore jaw or neck muscles
  • Shoulder pain
  • Locking or dislocation of the jaw (usually after widely yawning)
Return to Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)

Comment from: Audrey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have suffered from problems with my TMJ since I was a child. When I was 10 years old, my mother used to complain of me "clicking my teeth" on a spoon when I ate. The trouble is, my teeth never came near the spoon. The sound she heard came from my jaw popping. My jaw now dislocates constantly. I can't eat pizza or french bread, or even sing, without it locking. I wake up several times each night having to relocate my jaw. There is no pain just a jaw that can't seem to function normally. Brux guards do nothing. In fact, the only thing that seems to keep my jaw from popping and sticking is applying pressure to the left TMJ. I have to sleep these days with a hard pillow pressing against the joint, or it pops out constantly. It's clear that something is keeping my jaw from aligning properly, but no one seems to be able to help me fix it.

Comment from: lucy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I believe arthritis has set in. The pain causes me to chew the inside of my cheek. Then the pain goes up into my temple where I had a traumatic injury. My whole face hurts. And the pain TMJ disorder causes prevents me from my daily activities. What makes it worse is some other oral problems I have going on (such as dental problems). It's just too much. It used to be so much worse that I couldn't open my mouth for days and had to eat through a straw. I believe it got so bad from getting hit there. Regardless it's very depressing to experience; not much quality of life.