TMJ - Symptoms

Besides pain, what TMJ symptoms do you experience?

Please select the black square:

What are TMJ syndrome symptoms and signs?

The main symptom of TMJ syndrome is pain in the jaw joint. This joint is located just in front of the ear, and pain associated with TMJ syndrome may involve the face, eye, forehead, ear, or neck. Signs and symptoms of TMJ syndrome include the following:

• Pain in the jaw, especially at the area of the joint
  • Popping/clicking of the jaw
  • Ear pain or sounds of cracking in the ears
  • Ringing or popping sounds in the ears (tinnitus) or a sense of fullness in the ears
  • Headaches
  • Blurred vision
  • Tight, stiff, or sore jaw or neck muscles
  • Facial pain, cheek pain, or chin numbness or tingling
  • Pain at the base of the tongue
  • Pain, swelling, or a lump in the temple area
  • Shoulder pain
  • Locking or dislocation of the jaw (usually after widely yawning), referred to as lockjaw
  • Dizziness or vertigo
Return to Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was told I have TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) at 17. I thought everyone's jaw popped. For years I thought this was chronic sinus problems. I went to a sinus doctor and had a CAT scan done. Sinuses are good. It is the TMJ causing so much pain in daily life that it prevents me from doing things; very depressing. I take antidepressants. This Friday I go to a sport and spine doctor. I am hoping something can be done. I am 44 and can't believe how much of my life is ruined by having TMJ. On top of everything, a few years ago I had narcotic abuse because of this pain.

Comment from: Bck, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am only 21 years old. In 5th grade, my orthodontist decided I needed a maxillary expansion device to expand my top palate before getting braces, due to a very slight under bite and slight crowding. Of course I was a child and had no idea the pain that it would cause and damage it would do. It expanded my roof so far my front teeth had a half inch gap. Anyway, I know this was the cause of my double sided TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder). Very seldom I'll have a two or three day period of relief where I can feel I can do things and get stuff done. But most of my days are spent with severe headaches in my temples that no OTC pain reliever can phase, as well as tender to touch face around the joint itself and all around my ears. Not to mention the neck pain right at the base of my skull where the tendons are. No amount of massage helps. Nothing really does. Both sides of my jaw click multiple times when I open my mouth wider than to just say a word or sip a drink. Right side really hurts worse and gets more tender than the left, but the left clicks more consistently, and well constantly. Both of my ears pop all day every day. I get vertigo every once in a while with dizzy spells. It is misery but I am trying to learn how I can manage the pain without having to sleep life away.