TMJ - Symptoms

Besides pain, what TMJ symptoms do you experience?

What are TMJ syndrome symptoms and signs?

The main symptom of TMJ syndrome is pain in the jaw joint. This joint is located just in front of the ear, and pain associated with TMJ syndrome may involve the face, eye, forehead, ear, or neck. Signs and symptoms of TMJ syndrome include the following:

• Pain in the jaw, especially at the area of the joint
  • Popping/clicking of the jaw
  • Ear pain or sounds of cracking in the ears
  • Ringing or popping sounds in the ears (tinnitus) or a sense of fullness in the ears
  • Headaches
  • Blurred vision
  • Tight, stiff, or sore jaw or neck muscles
  • Facial pain, cheek pain, or chin numbness or tingling
  • Pain at the base of the tongue
  • Pain, swelling, or a lump in the temple area
  • Shoulder pain
  • Locking or dislocation of the jaw (usually after widely yawning), referred to as lockjaw
  • Dizziness or vertigo
Return to Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)

Comment from: vs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

My TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) symptoms were, my jaw would lock shut, and I would have migraines that would upset my stomach. The vertebra in my neck are displaced due to inflamed muscles, and I have muscle spasms in the joint and neck.

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was told I have TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) at 17. I thought everyone's jaw popped. For years I thought this was chronic sinus problems. I went to a sinus doctor and had a CAT scan done. Sinuses are good. It is the TMJ causing so much pain in daily life that it prevents me from doing things; very depressing. I take antidepressants. This Friday I go to a sport and spine doctor. I am hoping something can be done. I am 44 and can't believe how much of my life is ruined by having TMJ. On top of everything, a few years ago I had narcotic abuse because of this pain.