Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

What is gout?

Gout is a type of arthritis. Gout causes sudden joint inflammation, usually in one joint. Severe gout can sometimes affect many joints at once. This is known as polyarticular gout.

Return to Gout (Gouty Arthritis)

Comment from: bonsaijames, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

This was my first experience with gout. I awoke from sleep with 8 of 10 pain in left big toe. I thought it was fractured, as I have done in the past, but couldn"t walk on it. I suffered for two days and went in to the doctor. It kept getting worse; anything touching it caused pain radiating up my leg. I have a new respect for gout sufferers as I treated many as a paramedic. It hurts so much the pinched nerve from a broken spine was muted. I thank all those who write in these posts. I just stopped eating candy. It is still difficult to walk but the pain is much easier while staying in my recliner, with foot elevated. Although when lowering to the ground my foot feels like fire and as if it will burst open from swelling. I use crutches to get around as long as it doesn"t bounce too much; way better than walking on it. I look at it as a blessing which has distracted my pain and spasms which eventually immobilizes me.

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am sorry to say I have never watched my diet and the result of it has been, about every 6 months my gout will start to act up. At that point I will take one 100 milligram pill of indomethacin and I'm good for about another 6 months. When I first found out I had the gout about 26 years ago I would get a flare up once a week which left a huge lump on the side of my foot the size of a ping pong ball. It's still there, I need to have it removed.