Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of transient ischemic attack (TIA)?

The intensity and location of the blood limitation to the brain will determine what symptoms will occur as a result of a stroke or TIA. Many people experience confusion, weakness, and lethargy. If the loss of blood supply is in an area supplied by the middle cerebral artery, a classic sign may include weakness or paralysis and numbness of one side of the body. The whole side may be affected, or just one limb. Often there is a facial droop. If the stroke is on the left side of the body where the speech centers are usually located, there may be difficulty understanding words or speaking. Partial vision loss may also be part of the constellation of symptoms.

Strokes involving the vertebral arteries decrease blood supply to the base of the brain and may cause a drop attack (a sudden fall while walking or standing, and then a quick recovery), an unexpected collapse, incoordination, or difficulty walking.

The important distinction between stroke and TIA is resolution of the symptoms. By definition, the symptoms of a TIA must completely resolve. And, while this most often occurs within the first few minutes after symptom onset, it may take up to 24 hours to have complete return to normal function.

A special type of TIA is amaurosis fugax. Transient blindness in one eye occurs because debris from a narrowed carotid artery clogs the artery (ophthalmic artery) that supplies blood to the back of the eye.

Return to Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I think I might have had a stroke 5 years ago. All of a sudden I could not talk or answer the questions I was being asked. I believe I was not able to move either. I don't think it was a seizure because I wasn't moving around. The TIA (transient ischemic attack) lasted about 3 to 5 seconds; long enough to scare me. I just realized it could have been a stroke. I'm going to let my doctor know. I wonder if there's any way for the doctor to check and find what happened.

Comment from: Cath, Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Over the past two months I've experienced short episodes of numbness in hands. These episodes last from a few minutes up to 15 minutes or so. The first time I had numbness in hand, arm, shoulder, and mouth (episode was approximately half hour) I did not have any headache or visual disturbance. Scans and ultrasounds showed a small brain bleed (subarachnoid hemorrhage). I'm having these short TIA (transient ischemic attack) episodes a couple of times each week. Physician's advice was to go home and take it easy. I have also had short periods of confusion and light-headedness.