Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

What are the symptoms of transient ischemic attack (TIA)?

The intensity and location of the blood limitation to the brain will determine what symptoms will occur as a result of a stroke or TIA. Many people experience confusion, weakness, and lethargy. If the loss of blood supply is in an area supplied by the middle cerebral artery, a classic sign may include weakness or paralysis and numbness of one side of the body. The whole side may be affected, or just one limb. Often there is a facial droop. If the stroke is on the left side of the body where the speech centers are usually located, there may be difficulty understanding words or speaking. Partial vision loss may also be part of the constellation of symptoms.

Strokes involving the vertebral arteries decrease blood supply to the base of the brain and may cause a drop attack (a sudden fall while walking or standing, and then a quick recovery), an unexpected collapse, incoordination, or difficulty walking.

The important distinction between stroke and TIA is resolution of the symptoms. By definition, the symptoms of a TIA must completely resolve. And, while this most often occurs within the first few minutes after symptom onset, it may take up to 24 hours to have complete return to normal function.

A special type of TIA is amaurosis fugax. Transient blindness in one eye occurs because debris from a narrowed carotid artery clogs the artery (ophthalmic artery) that supplies blood to the back of the eye.

Return to Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)

Comment from: slygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had strep throat many times when I was younger, and here I am again with it! I went to the walk in clinic the night before and do not feel better, I am on a shot and a 10 day supply of penicillin. This will take at least 3 days to kick in and I start getting better. Good luck to all, take it easy. Rest and soda with crushed ice helps.

Comment from: Rambo10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I sympathize with all those people suffering from gastrointestinal problems. About 2 years ago, I started having shortness of breath and fullness while eating, even just a little food. The shortness of breath became worse as time went by. I went to the cardiologist and rheumatologist and all tests came back negative. I was told by my family doctor that I must have silent reflux and needed to get an endoscopy. While waiting for that test, friends of mine told me that I had symptoms of a hiatal hernia. I researched it and found out that chiropractors are knowledgeable about hiatal hernias and can do a stomach manipulation to slip it back in place. Last week I went to the chiropractor and sure enough the manipulation helped. Since the hernia can slip in an out of the hiatus muscle, you might need to have more than one treatment. My husband even did the manipulation on my stomach and thank goodness I'm feeling much better. I am scheduled for the endoscopy next week just to make sure that my stomach is ok otherwise. There is a YouTube video on how to do the manipulation. Look up 'how to fix hiatal hernia.' All the best out there.