Heart Murmur - Symptoms

Describe your symptoms experienced with heart murmur

What are the symptoms of a heart murmur?

A heart murmur in itself causes no symptoms and it generally cannot be heard by the person affected. It is the underlying structural issue of the heart that may cause problems. Note that many heart murmurs are of no consequence.

Congenital heart disease may present with newborns who have difficulty breathing and who are cyanotic, meaning that the heart cannot circulate blood and oxygen from the lungs to the body. Some infants with heart issues may have difficulty feeding, developing, and growing appropriately.

Most heart murmurs in well-developed children are harmless.

In adults, heart abnormalities may cause chest pain, shortness of breath, and swelling of the extremities among many other symptoms.

Palpitations or a sensation of an irregular heartbeat are occasionally seen in patients with heart valve abnormalities.

Return to Heart Murmur

Comment from: StacyG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I'm a 29 year old female who has had a heart murmur since birth. I recently had a bad palpitation episode that lasted 15 minutes. That sent me into my first panic attack and ever since that day I have had extreme anxiety. The doctor put me on antidepressants and Ativan as needed. I had every test done that you could think of and my heart was fine, all except I have a trace of mitral valve regurgitation. My heart still flutters and it's a very scary thing. I will be a nervous wreck for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Niomi, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: March 17

My daughter went in to hospital at 2 months of age, due to a change in temperature (going hot and cold) and she was extremely sweaty all over her body but worse on her head and back, she also had slight discoloration of her skin. It was then that they picked up she had a heart murmur, she got sent for an x-ray which showed that she has a very large heart and shadowing on her right side. She then had several tests including an echo which showed that some of her valves were still open and her blood/oxygen was quite aggressive around her heart. She also has a severe cow's milk intolerance and digestive problems, which means she is on a special formula which we have to order from the chemist and she is on Gaviscon to help with her acid reflux. She is now 3 months old and has got to go back to the hospital in a few days to have repeat tests.