Cuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds - Experience

Please share your experience with cuts, scrapes, or puncture wounds.

Please select the black triangle:

Cuts, scrapes (abrasions), and puncture wounds facts

• Washing a cut or scrape with soap, and water and keeping it clean and dry is all that is required to care for most wounds.
  • Cleaning the wound with hydrogen peroxide and iodine is acceptable initially, but can delay healing and should be avoided long-term.
  • Apply antibiotic ointment and keep the wound covered.
  • Seek medical care within 6 hours if the affected person thinks they might need stitches.
  • A delay can increase the rate of wound infection.
  • Any puncture wound through tennis shoes or sneakers has a high risk of infection and should be seen by a doctor.
  • Any redness, swelling, increased pain, fever, red streaking, or pus draining from the wound may indicate an infection that requires medical care.
Return to Cuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I cut my hand a week ago and had stitches. The wound seems to be oozing, white, not yellow pus.

Comment from: gingerjoy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

A small dog got out of its fenced area and bit my leg. It punctured the skin but didn't bleed. I'm worried about infection. I cleaned the area with soap and hot water. The owner said the dog has had its shots but I'm still concerned. It's a small wound. I am wondering if I should go see a doctor and get antibiotics just in case.