Ganglion - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your ganglion? Please share your experience.

How are ganglia treated?

A ganglion can spontaneously rupture and go away. Other treatment options include removal of the ganglion fluid with a needle and syringe (aspiration) with or without an injection of cortisone medication. Occasionally, the entire ganglion is resected with surgery. People with a persisting or recurring ganglion should be evaluated for signs of systemic forms of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis.

For further information, please visit the Arthritis Center.

Return to Ganglion

Comment from: polly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a ganglion removed when I was 14. I had the same operation twice more. This was on my right inner ankle. In the end 25 years later, I had my below knee amputation, due to the surgeon making a mess of sewing it up. He attached nerve endings and tendons to scar, this was very painful for a lot of years. I was in and out of the hospital having different treatments, i.e., physiotherapy, guanethidine blocks, and nothing seemed to work. So I opted for amputation in the end which was 5 years ago. I have not had any reaction to pain since I have had it done.

Comment from: MJS0613, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I was 11 a ganglion cyst formed on my right wrist at the joint. It was the size of a golf ball. I went to the doctors for months getting it drained. The doctor was shocked at the size. The doctor would draw no less than 3cc of fluid each time. The cyst never softened or went down. I would warm it with heating pad and roll with a shot glass to try to get it to go away. This went on for 2 1/2 years. Finally the doctor informed me that it would need to be removed surgically since it was not going away and draining it did not help. Two weeks before I was scheduled to have it removed, I remember hitting my wrist against the wall. The next day it was gone. It has not returned. Other than a little pinching in that area if I do a lot of typing with no support, I have not had any issues.