Ganglion - Experience

What was your experience with a ganglion?

What is a ganglion?

A ganglion is a sac-like swelling or cyst formed from the tissue that lines a joint or tendon. The tissue, called synovium, normally functions to produce lubricating fluid for these areas. A ganglion is a cyst formed by the synovium that is filled with a thick jelly-like fluid. While ganglia can follow local trauma to the tendon or joint, they usually form for unknown reasons. Occasionally, ganglia are early signs of arthritis that will become more obvious in the future.

Return to Ganglion

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had one on my left wrist at that point where you take pulse readings. It was the size of a blueberry and it was there for about a year. It is now gone without any intervention whatsoever. It did not hurt or bother me. It did not grow any bigger, it just disappeared.

Comment from: McKinneyflowerlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Back in the early 70s, I developed a ganglion cyst on my wrist. The doctor said he could surgically remove it but as a young person, married with a baby, this wasn't for me (let alone the expense). I told my (wonderful) mother-in-law about it and she told me how people took care of them many, many years ago. She said I should take the heaviest book in the house, and whack the cyst hard. Well, it did work for me. You do have to whack it hard, kind of like a cartoon "bong" seeing stars. What it actually does is break the sac of fluid and the body absorbs it on its own. It never came back. I would I do it again. Most certainly!