Ganglion - Experience

What was your experience with a ganglion?

Please select the black square:

What is a ganglion?

A ganglion is a sac-like swelling or cyst formed from the tissue that lines a joint or tendon. The tissue, called synovium, normally functions to produce lubricating fluid for these areas. A ganglion is a cyst formed by the synovium that is filled with a thick jelly-like fluid. While ganglia can follow local trauma to the tendon or joint, they usually form for unknown reasons. Occasionally, ganglia are early signs of arthritis that will become more obvious in the future.

Return to Ganglion

Comment from: McKinneyflowerlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Back in the early 70s, I developed a ganglion cyst on my wrist. The doctor said he could surgically remove it but as a young person, married with a baby, this wasn't for me (let alone the expense). I told my (wonderful) mother-in-law about it and she told me how people took care of them many, many years ago. She said I should take the heaviest book in the house, and whack the cyst hard. Well, it did work for me. You do have to whack it hard, kind of like a cartoon "bong" seeing stars. What it actually does is break the sac of fluid and the body absorbs it on its own. It never came back. I would I do it again. Most certainly!

Comment from: Greg, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 17

I got a ganglion on my wrist some four years ago after I hit my wrist on a wooden door. The swelling appeared soon after and is now the size of a small bird's egg about 2 cm, around 1 inch. It isn't very swollen and some days it is or seems larger. I squeeze it sometimes hoping it might move it on but it seems to stay. I also have a mild form of Dupuytren's contracture in the same hand and a smaller incidence in my other hand in the palm has recently appeared. None of these problems are painful but sometimes there are involuntary tremors and a mild ache. I am 65 years old and have had a healthy life. I am lucky since I have been an abuser of alcohol. I am trying to stop this habit and engage in more intellectual activities. I do not smoke.