Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Hiatal hernia surgery

With the development of proton pump inhibitor medications, medical therapy has decreased the necessity of surgery for sliding hiatal hernias, and it is often only recommended for people who have failed aggressive drug treatment or who have developed complications of GERD like strictures, ulcers, and bleeding or those with repeated pneumonia form aspiration.

Patients with paraesophageal hernias often have no symptoms, and surgery is required only if the hernias become incarcerated and become stuck in the diaphragmatic hiatus or rotate to cause a volvulus. While this is more commonly seen in older people, paraesophageal hernias also may occur as a congenital condition in neonates and infants.

Most often, the surgery is done as a minimally invasive procedure using a laparoscope. While there are different techniques (Nissen, Belsey or Hill), the results are similar and the option recommended is the one the surgeon feels most comfortable performing in a specific situation.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: Four_family, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I am 10 days post hiatal hernia surgery, finally doing well after a tough week. I am experiencing substantial heartburn, I was told I wouldn't.

Comment from: Hcc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was born with a hiatal hernia which was left undiagnosed until the age of 25. I was ill from birth, having problems digesting and keeping food down. Vomiting and abdominal pain was my every day way of life, my new general practitioner diagnosed the hernia and surgery was my only option. This was 31 years ago and all was well until I was involved in an accident. I have another hernia and presently trying different medications to treat the symptoms. I had the invasive surgery in 1984, the esophagus was wrapped and inserted into the stomach. Best thing I ever did as I have led an active life ever since. Surgery may be inevitable but I would do it again to get the relief I have been fortunate to benefit from with the first surgery.