Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Hiatal hernia surgery

With the development of proton pump inhibitor medications, medical therapy has decreased the necessity of surgery for sliding hiatal hernias, and it is often only recommended for people who have failed aggressive drug treatment or who have developed complications of GERD like strictures, ulcers, and bleeding or those with repeated pneumonia form aspiration.

Patients with paraesophageal hernias often have no symptoms, and surgery is required only if the hernias become incarcerated and become stuck in the diaphragmatic hiatus or rotate to cause a volvulus. While this is more commonly seen in older people, paraesophageal hernias also may occur as a congenital condition in neonates and infants.

Most often, the surgery is done as a minimally invasive procedure using a laparoscope. While there are different techniques (Nissen, Belsey or Hill), the results are similar and the option recommended is the one the surgeon feels most comfortable performing in a specific situation.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: Dorothy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Since having robotic hiatal hernia surgery, I have a lot of gas, constipation and bloating. I pass a lot of gas, which I very seldom did before and have a lot of pressure in my chest. It seems to be getting worse instead of better.

Comment from: DukeHospitalFan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My voice was very hoarse due to acid reflux and vomiting at night; however, I did not have heartburn. Medicines, diet, elevated bed, etc., did not help. I got out of breath even when walking on flat ground. I had surgery 2 and a 1/2 years ago to repair my hiatal hernia. Surgeon said a large portion of my stomach was in my chest. Best thing I ever did! Patients need to strictly follow surgeon's instructions afterwards; liquid diet for a week then soft food for 2 weeks, no lifting for a number of weeks, and stop all heavy lifting in the future. Now at 60 plus years, I can exercise again, easily walk 3 plus miles, run up 15 steps, take 0 meds, eat what I want (smaller portions though), and live an active lifestyle. Thanks to the doctor!