Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Please select the white circle:

Hiatal hernia surgery

With the development of proton pump inhibitor medications, medical therapy has decreased the necessity of surgery for sliding hiatal hernias, and it is often only recommended for people who have failed aggressive drug treatment or who have developed complications of GERD like strictures, ulcers, and bleeding or those with repeated pneumonia form aspiration.

Patients with paraesophageal hernias often have no symptoms, and surgery is required only if the hernias become incarcerated and become stuck in the diaphragmatic hiatus or rotate to cause a volvulus. While this is more commonly seen in older people, paraesophageal hernias also may occur as a congenital condition in neonates and infants.

Most often, the surgery is done as a minimally invasive procedure using a laparoscope. While there are different techniques (Nissen, Belsey or Hill), the results are similar and the option recommended is the one the surgeon feels most comfortable performing in a specific situation.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: farmboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had all the symptoms listed in this discussed thus far. I have a para esophageal hiatal hernia. Your quality of life does not have to suffer. You can get relief. Surgery is definitely the way to go. Get yourself a specialist in hiatal hernia repairs, or you'll be getting the surgery more than once. Don't settle for just a general surgeon or even just a gastro specialist. Been there, done that and am a 3 time offender. Ask the doctor what their success rate is and even ask to talk to some of their treated patients. (Hint: Ask them how many times they have been fixed for this problem.) It is a long very serious surgery, but I for one want to live my life as normal as possible and this surgery is the way to go if you are a candidate for it.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I had robotic laparoscopic paraesophageal Nissen fundoplication six months ago after a stress test, heart catheter and ending up in the emergency room from sudden chest pain. I didn't realize how sick I was for years. My stomach was also twisted. I have not felt this good in many years. I can and do eat anything now and I have no problems. I am 55 years old but I feel like I'm 20 again. I only missed 2 weeks of work, have the surgery!

Stay Informed!