Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Hiatal hernia surgery

With the development of proton pump inhibitor medications, medical therapy has decreased the necessity of surgery for sliding hiatal hernias, and it is often only recommended for people who have failed aggressive drug treatment or who have developed complications of GERD like strictures, ulcers, and bleeding or those with repeated pneumonia form aspiration.

Patients with paraesophageal hernias often have no symptoms, and surgery is required only if the hernias become incarcerated and become stuck in the diaphragmatic hiatus or rotate to cause a volvulus. While this is more commonly seen in older people, paraesophageal hernias also may occur as a congenital condition in neonates and infants.

Most often, the surgery is done as a minimally invasive procedure using a laparoscope. While there are different techniques (Nissen, Belsey or Hill), the results are similar and the option recommended is the one the surgeon feels most comfortable performing in a specific situation.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: Robert K., (Patient) Published: April 06

I had hiatal hernia surgery days ago, expect to be fine in a few more days. One thing is carbonated beverages are forbidden for a while, yet the only thing that helps my bloated feeling is burping, which I wait for until I continue eating. I thought a soda drink would help with that. I also have pain in my left shoulder; curious side effect. One other thing that might help people during recovery is chicken soup with rice, and similar things, which can be 'souped up' in a blender, and provide a good nourishing liquid meal.

Comment from: tobytylersf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I've had a hiatal hernia (among other injuries) since I was a circus aerialist several years ago. It took nearly seven years to properly diagnose my condition; most doctors aren't familiar with it and kept sending me to cardiac care because of my chest pains. Eventually they figured it out, and I was given surgery (Nissan fundoplication). For about a year, things were fine, and then the sutures inside me disintegrated (according to a later endoscopy) and left me worse off than I'd been before. Dealing with a hiatal hernia has been a full-time job for both my wife and I. I've gotten very good results from a chiropractor who does a stomach massage that puts things back in place now and then. However, medical doctors have been mainly useless in my treatment, other than providing me with proton pump inhibitors that cause as many problems as they solve. Most of the time I feel fairly lousy; at best I feel a little less than that. I was a professional athlete when younger, but now I am unable to perform any but the most simple of exercises (walking is as much as I can handle). My experience with doctors throughout has been that they don't understand hiatal hernias overall, and don't care to deal with patients that they can't easily treat.