Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis

What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?

Please select the black square:

What is the prognosis and life expectancy with multiple sclerosis?

Patients with multiple sclerosis are felt to have the same life expectancy of those without multiple sclerosis. However, for patients with severe, progressive forms of this disease, problems caused by disability may lead to complications such as pneumonia.

If patients are not treated, over 30% may develop pronounced problems with mobility. It is not yet known what the long-term outcome of patients who begin treatment at an early stage of their disease will be.

There are two extremes in multiple sclerosis. The first is a benign syndrome in which patients have numerous lesions identified on MRI imaging, but have few -- if any -- symptoms, even decades after their diagnosis. At the opposite end of the spectrum is a condition identified as the Marburg variant of multiple sclerosis, where rapidly progressive symptoms are seen and death may occur after a very short time.

Return to Multiple Sclerosis

Comment from: Jeannie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis late in life. I had been tested many times and no doctor said I had MS! The technician that did my last MRI told me, after I questioned him, I had MS. The doctor put me on Avonex for 1year. The doctor took me off of it, now I am on Ampyra, and baclofen. Now I am 75 and going downhill for the last year! It is ok! I am not happy with the lack of balance, inability to walk more than a few steps etc., but at my age resting and reading, without feeling guilty is pretty nice!

Comment from: MeeMaw, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My 33 year old daughter is currently on Tysabri, a once-a-month infusion that takes a few hours at the multiple sclerosis clinic. She is doing well. She seems to have no side effects from this drug, a great improvement from previous medications.