Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Treatment

What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?

What are multiple sclerosis treatment options?

Many factors go into consideration for the treatment of a patient who has multiple sclerosis. During an acute exacerbation, steroids given through an IV are commonly prescribed, and often help patients recover more rapidly. If a patient cannot receive steroids, plasma exchange can be used.

Once a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis has been confirmed, disease-modifying therapy is often recommended. This therapy may decrease the number of exacerbations that a patient experiences or decrease the severity of an exacerbation. In addition, many of these therapies have been shown to decrease the potential for developing long-term disability.

Return to Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Comment from: aliblu2888, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was told 10 years ago I had multiple sclerosis (MS) and that I would be in a wheel chair in 10 years. Well I"m not. I think a lot has to do with staying busy. I do this around the house and yard, take family/friend places, also a lot has to do with the medicine I take (injections 3 times a week), Rebif.

Comment from: Nini, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My 42 year old daughter was diagnosed with the relapsing-remitting form of multiple sclerosis (MS) 10 years ago. During the interview back then, it was suggested that she probably was first affected during college in 1990 when she suffered from hypothermia. Fast forward to some 5 months ago, Gilenya was discontinued by her insurance [she was never notified]; when she contacted the medical center, she was told her neurologist was no longer there and she was scheduled for an appointment April 29th 2014! About February 26th, she started the mother of all relapses, and still suffers from every possible symptom, but for memory loss [so far]. She was prescribed Copaxone and is on her 2nd week of medications. Sadly, this medicine has no impact on her current relapse. I am hoping and waiting. She has a wonderful new neurologist and we await any sign of improvement.