Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes

What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?

Please select the black square:

Lifestyle changes

• Lifestyle changes may include elevating the head of the bed when sleeping to allow gravity to prevent acid from refluxing into the esophagus.
  • Small frequent meals may help instead of eating two or three larger meals a day.
  • Some foods that should be avoided include spicy, greasy foods, onions, tomatoes and citrus fruits, however, most individuals are generally aware of the foods that trigger heartburn symptoms and avoid them.
Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: lily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had my first endoscopy today after having heartburn for years. Diagnosed with hiatal hernia, GERDS, and gastritis. I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every night mixed in a few tablespoons of water. No heartburn, works like a charm. GI doctor told me this is good to do and he also proscribed a med in the Prilosec family that hopefully I will be able to tolerate as Prilosec makes me feel like somebody punched me in stomach. I too, alka seltzer for years and wonder did the aspirin in it cause my gastritis. Doctor said don't take alka seltzer, it causes ulcers.

Comment from: esined, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I recently gained a few pounds, and that's when it got worse. I had to change my diet. No citrus, chocolate, caffeine, tomato or spicy foods. Some over-the-counter medications have caffeine in them, such as Excedrin. So I cut out some of these products and I felt better. Oh, and I do not eat or drink three hours before going to bed. I use extra pillows when sleeping.