Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Please select the white circle:

Hiatal hernia definition

The esophagus connects the mouth and throat to the stomach. It passes through the chest cavity and enters the abdominal cavity through a hole in the diaphragm called the esophageal hiatus. The term hiatal hernia describes a condition where a part of the stomach that normally is located in the abdominal cavity pushes or protrudes through the esophageal hiatus to rest within the chest cavity.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: Mrs. Saleh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and GERD about 8 years ago. When I ate it felt like there was something in my throat blocking my air passage, like my throat was closing. I couldn't eat but maybe a bite, sometimes two, before I would have to run to the bathroom to throw up. This went on for over a year along with the intense pain in my stomach that I still deal with. However, instead of having this pain every day, several times a day, I now only experience it about two to four times a month. The reason for this is because my mother told me of some exercises to do to help the stomach turn right side in. Also she told me of cold milk or water. Drinking one of these gives instant relief from this crippling pain. To do the exercises, simply stand up, raising arms in the air and lifting up and down from your toes 15 times. The other is raising your arms over your head and breathing in and out, like you are doing Lamaze for child birth, for 15 seconds. I hope these help, like they did me.

Comment from: rtfaxe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. Heartburn drugs were not working and I had a feeling something was in my throat all the time. I saw a naturopath, improved my diet, no tomato products, no caffeine, no chocolate, no alcohol and my symptoms improved to the point that I rarely have heartburn. I do not take any medications but I eat small meals, never exercise within two hours of eating, and raised my bed 8 inches by putting a slat on the bed frame. Benefits from this include weight loss, improved energy and reduced anxiety because it doesn't feel like I am dying. One has to be diligent with their diet and then your chances of success are way higher. Life is good, I don't mind making the changes to have way more energy and improved health. Good luck people, I hope you find something that works for you.