Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Please select the black triangle:

Hiatal hernia definition

The esophagus connects the mouth and throat to the stomach. It passes through the chest cavity and enters the abdominal cavity through a hole in the diaphragm called the esophageal hiatus. The term hiatal hernia describes a condition where a part of the stomach that normally is located in the abdominal cavity pushes or protrudes through the esophageal hiatus to rest within the chest cavity.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: JME, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I suffered with GERD for years, went to a seminar, thought I had Barrett's esophagus. I went through all the testing, found out it was a large hiatal hernia. I had the laparoscopy surgery. I must admit I was scared to have the surgery. I am so glad to have had the surgery, I feel great, no more reflux, or sickness. I am in my seventh week after surgery and I feel great! The only pain I had after the surgery was at the five small incisions, which was really not bad. I am very thankful to my doctor, be sure to do your homework and choose the right physician.

Comment from: dinogirlca, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I too suffer terribly with heartburn, acid reflux and was told years ago after endoscopy that I had a hiatal hernia as well. At that time I had H. pylori and severe gastritis. I can go periods of time and not have any problems, but then it will act up and oh goodness, the pain is unbearable in my chest and shoulder blades, sometimes I think I even get anxiety from it all. It feels like food is stuck in my throat and I am constantly burping. I feel it is getting worse as I get older. I had my gall bladder out years ago. I have had numerous tests done and a barium swallow a couple years ago showed that my esophagus spasms intermittently causing the backwash of acid and there was also acid reflux lying in the bottom of my esophagus while they were doing the test. I have taken every pill on the market and nothing helps except when I tried Dexilant a couple years ago. It gave me diarrhea so bad that I had to stop taking them but unfortunately it was the only pill that helped at all, go figure. I drink Gaviscon like water, it helps a bit. I am currently on Nexium, but that is not working anymore. I sleep sitting up most nights on 4 pillows. This is just awful to have to suffer like this, I don't know what to eat or drink anymore because everything bothers me. Anyway I am heading back to my general physician tomorrow and see what else we can do to fix this.