Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Hiatal hernia definition

The esophagus connects the mouth and throat to the stomach. It passes through the chest cavity and enters the abdominal cavity through a hole in the diaphragm called the esophageal hiatus. The term hiatal hernia describes a condition where a part of the stomach that normally is located in the abdominal cavity pushes or protrudes through the esophageal hiatus to rest within the chest cavity.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: Saltlick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had the gastric lap-band surgery performed two years ago last month. Not until about last November did I start having problems swallowing meats, veggies, and anything with any consistency. My lap-band doctor did X-rays and some kind of swallow test last March and found nothing. He thought I just had too much saline in my band, so he took some out. That didn't help. Last December, I was rushed to the hospital with kidney stones. They took X-rays from the side, something the lap-band doctor never did. They didn't bother to tell me until August that they had found I had a hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Audra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had absolutely no heartburn with my hiatal hernia. I had chest pain, shortness of breath, vomiting up food (but no acid or bile with it), nausea after I ate, and pain at the edge of my ribcage on the right side. The first doctor said it was stress. It just kept getting worse, and a friend thought I was having a heart attack. The second doctor I went to ran tests and found the sliding hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux disease. We are treating with Nexium and small (one-fourth to one-half cup size) meals for now. A weight loss regimen is to follow as soon as I heal enough to be off this bland diet. My doctor says while surgery is an option, he is against it and claims it doesn't hold well. I would just have it back again and again.