Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Hiatal hernia definition

The esophagus connects the mouth and throat to the stomach. It passes through the chest cavity and enters the abdominal cavity through a hole in the diaphragm called the esophageal hiatus. The term hiatal hernia describes a condition where a part of the stomach that normally is located in the abdominal cavity pushes or protrudes through the esophageal hiatus to rest within the chest cavity.

Return to Hiatal Hernia

Comment from: Clueless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had a surgery in February. Since surgery I have been nauseous and it is making me fatigued. I have been to 3 different doctors, and had many tests. I do have a medium size hiatal hernia in stomach which stomach doctor does not believe is the issue but it is dyspepsia. I am going for a second opinion. I have never had indigestion and can't understand how all of a sudden it happens after a surgery. I just want to feel better and not nauseated all the time. I read that hernia can be a symptom of dyspepsia so I would think the doctor would want to fix the hernia. I am confused and tired.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had my hiatal hernia surgery done back in October 2016. I was free of acid reflux and heart burn for about 3 months. This surgery did not take, and I am having the acid reflux and heart burn again. My doctor had to go back in and stretch my esophagus. I am now a candidate of acid reflux back. I have had many registered nurses tell me this surgery was not worth it and does not work.