(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

How can heat stroke be prevented?

• The most important measures to prevent heat strokes are to avoid becoming dehydrated and to avoid vigorous physical activities in hot and humid weather.
  • If you have to perform physical activities in hot weather, drink plenty of fluids (such as water and sports drinks), but avoid alcohol, and caffeine (including soft drinks and tea), which may lead to dehydration.
  • Your body will need replenishment of electrolytes (such as sodium) as well as fluids if you sweat excessively or perform vigorous activity in the sunlight for prolonged periods.
  • Take frequent breaks to hydrate yourself. Wear hats and light-colored, lightweight, loose clothes.
  • Keep cars locked when not in use and never, ever, leave infants, children or pets unattended in a locked car.
Return to Heat Stroke

Comment from: Mar, Published: July 26

I have been taking allergy shots for 7 years. Three or so years ago the FDA changed the allergens available. I had to be retested. I started have eczema and horrible itching all over my body. My dermatologist had me try every cream, cleanser available, and some prescriptions. My ENT had me take allergy shots twice a month instead of weekly during the summer months. I noticed my skin showed no signs so eczema after about a week. As soon as I got shots the itching and rash would start over. I stopped taking shots about 2 months ago and my skin is fine. So stupid of me to have not figured out the problem a long time ago.

Comment from: bcinkc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

After swimming underwater in an outdoor hotel pool is when I first noticed the problems. I believe bacteria gave me an inner ear problem. I could not hear out of my right ear and had a severe earache. Doctors don't know what the cause of my Meniere's disease is. I feel the dizziness when I am under stress or due to sudden directional head movement. I have controlled my attacks by changing my diet. I don't have caffeine, chocolate, and salt. I have always suffered from allergies and asthma. I have permanent hearing loss and constant ringing in my right ear. I have not had a full blown attack for three years. I hope soon doctors learn more about the treatment and cause for Meniere's disease.

Comment from: Nelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

About a month ago, I was at karate practice which was at the stadium of my school, outside. I really pushed myself and started to feel light headed, pounding headache, and muscle fatigue. Since it is karate, my sensei is all about pushing us to our limits. I took water breaks but I guess it wasn't enough. I went back home feeling extremely exhausted and went to sleep. While I was in bed I started to feel short of breath, heart palpitations, diarrhea, and sweats. I went to the emergency room but wasn't seen due to lack of beds, it was around 12 am and beds would not be open until 8 am. So, I just went home and recovered on my own. I felt better after a week but had another episode which wasn't as bad but now it's taking me a bit longer to recover. Now, I feel extremely exhausted and sometimes a bit breathless. I've decided to stop karate and regret not stopping myself because I was way over my limit. Glad to be alive though.