Snake Bite - Experience

Please share your experience with snake bite.

What is a venomous (poisonous) snake bite?

A venomous (poisonous) snake bite is a bite or a puncture wound made by a snake that is capable of injecting, secreting, or spitting a toxin into the penetrated skin wound, mucus membranes or the eyes where the toxin can be absorbed. In North America, there are about 25 species of snakes able to secrete toxin. However, non-native poisonous species are present in zoos and held in private homes or other areas by snake collectors. Consequently, almost any type of venomous snake bite can be encountered in the US. About 7,000 snake bites are reported in the US per year, but because snake bites are not required to be reported, it is estimated that up to 45,000 bites per year may occur with about 8,000 by poisonous snakes. The most common venomous snakes in the US are rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths/water moccasins, and coral snakes.

Return to Snake Bite (Snake Bite)

Comment from: Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

On April 16 2014 I was cleaning the leaves in my back yard not wearing shoes. All of the sudden I felt like I just stepped on a sharp glass that cut my little toe. I looked around and saw a snake very close to my feet ready to attack again. I knew then that I got bit, screamed for the kids to call daddy. It was so painful I was crying from the pain. I went to the emergency room, I knew it was poisonous cotton mouth. They waited 9 hours to give the anti-venom and in almost 24 hours my leg swelled, my toe turned purple and huge, kind of like eggplant color then. Now on April 29 it look like blister. They gave pain killer and strong antibiotic, it still hurts. Wonder how long till it heals.

Comment from: jerushah8833, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

On May 25, 2014, my grandson, 4 and a half years was riding his trike when he ran over copperhead. He said, "Its eyes popped out,", so he reached down to pick it up and got struck 4 to 6 times by a baby (small) snake. We live in rural area, doctor watched for an hour and a half and sent him home to eat, sleep, and just be watched to see if swelling got any worse or acted like it was cutting off circulation. Nothing more than children"s Tylenol was given.