Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Please select the white circle:

What is the average healing time for a dry socket?

Average healing time is seven to 10 days, as this is the amount of time it takes for new tissue to grow to cover the exposed socket.

Return to Dry Socket

Comment from: ljm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had dry socket a few years ago after a tooth extraction. I believe the clot was pulled out when I removed the gauze the dentist put in my mouth because I recall seeing a very small yellow/brown cone-shaped piece of something on the gauze. Within moments the pain at the extraction site began and increased rapidly. I spent the next 6 1/2 days in excruciating, indescribable pain. I took every pain pill I could get my hands on with only minimal results. That experience has left me with a strong fear of having any future extractions.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a week into a dry socket. I have never had such pain. Finally today I took it upon myself to rub Orajel on my gums. The relief is much appreciated. I did not get permission from my dentist. I just did it! The dentist had very little help for me.