Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the average healing time for a dry socket?

Average healing time is 7 days.

Return to Dry Socket

Comment from: Bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had two premolars extracted 6 days ago. The teeth were brittle from prior root canals, so they broke each time the dentist tried to pull them. Ended up drilling and suctioning pieces of teeth through the entire process, on both of them. Lots of bleeding, so lots of gauze, pressure, etc., to stop it. He sewed up the gingival tissue and placed a partial over the area. Sensation and pain came back around 6 hours later and hasn"t stopped now for the entire 6 days. Gum tissue is tender but healing with no extreme pain. The depth of the tooth socket is screaming in pain, so I seriously think I have a dry socket from the suctioning action of removing the pieces of tooth. One more day, since today is Sunday, and I am going back to the dentist to see if I can get some relief! Advil works great 30 minutes after taking it and for about three to four hours, then the socket is screaming again. I have had to have many teeth extracted over my lifetime, they never hurt like this one!

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a molar extracted and it didn"t go well. My dentist called for assistance after 1 hour and it took a further 2 hours to remove due to tooth breaking, root breaking, hooked root, etc. After 2 days the pain increased and I developed a foul taste in my mouth. I returned to the dentist to receive an official diagnosis of dry socket. The stitches were removed, the area was cleaned out, antiseptic gel applied, and then new stitches. That afternoon I slept for 2 hours - I haven"t slept during the day since I was pregnant - and felt totally drained; and sore! Hoping now it doesn"t happen again as the healing continues.