Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

What is the average healing time for a dry socket?

Average healing time is seven to 10 days, as this is the amount of time it takes for new tissue to grow to cover the exposed socket.

Return to Dry Socket

Comment from: R95, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

After having all four impacted wisdom teeth removed, I developed two dry sockets where the lower teeth were extracted. The pain began about two days after surgery, and became increasingly worse. I went back to the oral surgeon, who irrigated the wounds with saline, and then put a clove-infused dressing on each wound. The dressing needs to be changed once or twice in order to manage pain. I found that this dressing works better than any drug. I still feel a bit of pain after a week, but it's getting better. I'm just focusing on keeping the sockets clean so they don't get infected.

Comment from: Rowenasheir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had my left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday and by Saturday was in extreme pain (dry socket), not only in my mouth but along my jaw and into my left ear. I went on Moxymax 500 (antibiotic) and 400 mg ibuprofen with 500 mg paracetamol but still it was very painful. I read about using oil of cloves and tried it today. Since using it I have been pain free for 10 hours with only one drop! I wonder how often I should I use it. It seems very strong and I have read about side effects.