Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

What is the average healing time for a dry socket?

Average healing time is seven to 10 days, as this is the amount of time it takes for new tissue to grow to cover the exposed socket.

Return to Dry Socket

Comment from: Rowenasheir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had my left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday and by Saturday was in extreme pain (dry socket), not only in my mouth but along my jaw and into my left ear. I went on Moxymax 500 (antibiotic) and 400 mg ibuprofen with 500 mg paracetamol but still it was very painful. I read about using oil of cloves and tried it today. Since using it I have been pain free for 10 hours with only one drop! I wonder how often I should I use it. It seems very strong and I have read about side effects.

Comment from: Gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

One tough week, I had a bottom molar extracted. I went to the dentist already in pain, the tooth was overdue needing removal before I went for treatment, as I like many people shy from the dentist for obvious reasons. My tooth pain got better for a day, then I developed what I figured must be dry socket because the pain started worse than my original pain. I got back to the dentist on the third day after extraction. I received numbing shots and apparently the site was covered with bacteria which the dentist cleaned and repacked the extraction site. I was sent home being told the pain would subside. It did not. In tears I phoned the dentist and she ordered antibiotics and pain medicines for which unfortunately I did not make it to the pharmacy before it closing. Another night in pain and I started my medicines the following morning. This was a Friday so I made my way 45 minutes each way back to the dentist. More shots and then she x-rayed a wisdom tooth on the same side that a filling had fallen out of, that week. On examination it was decayed so one hour and 45 minutes in the chair. I had a root canal and new filling then a repack of my dry socket. Here I am Monday and finally feeling like myself pretty much. A hard week I must say but thankful to my dentist and her assistant. I called them today to say so.