Dry Socket - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?

Please select the white circle:

What are dry socket symptoms and signs?

A tell-tale sign of dry socket is when there is partial or total loss of a blood clot. The jawbone may be visible in the socket as a white area where it would normally be covered with a blood clot or healing membrane. Dry socket is not considered an infection and, therefore, not accompanied with fever, swelling, or redness.

Symptoms of a dry socket include a throbbing steady pain that presents a few days after a tooth extraction. The pain may radiate to other parts of the head such as the ears and eyes on the same side of the face. A foul smell and an unpleasant taste in the mouth may also be present due to the accumulation of food debris and bacteria in the socket. A stiff jaw is not a typical symptom of dry socket but is often a coincidental symptom after an oral surgery procedure such as tooth extraction.

Return to Dry Socket

Comment from: jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

When I had dry socket I had excruciating throbbing pain and codeine didn't help much. This started the 3rd day after wisdom tooth was taken out. Now day 6, I saw the dentist, had the wound washed out with cold water spray, and then coated to numb it. I have to take antibiotics for 5 days. I do hope this does the trick, never want to have this again as it is so painful. I have not slept for 3 nights, am shattered and depressed.

Comment from: Leah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had extreme pain in my left ear, shooting up into my head. It's been 2 weeks since I had my tooth out, and it still really hurts. I went back last week, and the pain was incredible. The dentist put a gel in the dry socket, she gave me antibiotics, and now 1 week later, I have extreme pain, I don't know what to do.