Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience?

Please select the black square:

Introduction to burns

The skin has an important role to play in the fluid and temperature regulation of the body. If enough skin area is injured, the ability to maintain that control can be lost. The skin also acts as a protective barrier against the bacteria and viruses that inhabit the world outside the body.

The anatomy of the skin is complex, and there are many structures within the layers of the skin. There are three layers:

1. Epidermis, the outer layer of the skin
  2. Dermis, made up of collagen and elastic fibers and where nerves, blood vessels, sweat glands, and hair follicles reside.
  3. Hypodermis or subcutaneous tissue, where larger blood vessels and nerves are located. This is the layer of tissue that is most important in temperature regulation.

The amount of damage that a burn can cause depends upon its location, its depth, and how much body surface area that it involves.

Return to Burns (First Aid)

Comment from: megreen60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was lighting a candle with a cheap lighter when I burnt the tips of my index and thumb of my left hand. I immediately put my hand under cold water they blistered up. That was last week; however on my thumb it's starting to look like there is blood under there; it's still throbbing. I have no fever and I did not break it.

Comment from: DeeGee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 13

After swimming in a heated pool, I went into a hot tub. As I stepped in my toes felt a sharp feeling of pain and the water seemed very hot. I got out immediately and noticed my toes were very red. I did not experience pain at the time, but after almost two weeks the redness is still there and I am experiencing pain in the tips and top of my toes. I have been applying Polysporin and Aquaphor but at night I am experiencing tingling and my toes are sensitive to touch. I am also on an antibiotic doxycycline hyclate. I have not contacted a doctor.