Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience

Please share your experience with PID.

Pelvic inflammatory disease facts*

*Pelvic inflammatory facts medical author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

• Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection and inflammation of a woman's pelvic organs including the uterus (womb), Fallopian tubes (tubes), ovaries, and cervix.
  • PID is very common and is estimated to affect around 1 million women every year in the US.
  • Pelvic inflammatory disease usually develops as the result of spread of a sexually-transmitted disease (STD).
  • Most cases of pelvic inflammatory disease are caused by gonorrhea and/or Chlamydia, although several different types of bacteria can be responsible.
  • Young, sexually active women with multiple sex partners are at greatest risk for pelvic inflammatory disease. Douching and a history of PID are other risk factors.
  • Pelvic inflammatory disease many not produce any symptoms or signs (referred to as being asymptomatic). In other cases it can cause
    • fever,
    • abdominal or pelvic pain,
    • vaginal discharge,
    • painful urination, or
    • painful sexual intercourse.
  • The treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease involves antibiotics directed against the organisms responsible for the disease.
  • Complications of untreated pelvic inflammatory disease can include scarring of the pelvic organs and infertility.
  • Pelvic inflammatory disease can be life-threatening in severe cases.
Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: Hopefulgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was diagnosed with PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) a month ago. I am 30 years old. I had sex for the very first time with my fianc last December at the age of 29. I started noticing a discharge after the intercourse. I went to the hospital and the test came out positive for staphylococcus aureus. Mr. Fianc denied having any infection. I was treated but 6 months later, I took another test and was diagnosed with PID. I had stopped having sex after my first experience and had asked fianc to go his way. My confusion is that I don't see most of the symptoms I see online. My only symptom is a cheesy discharge. During the scan the doctor saw copious fluid. I really don't know what to do because I have lost faith in medications that don't work. I hope that when I get married I will have children.

Comment from: Lisa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am 20 years old. I was told four days ago by my doctor that I have PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). I woke up one day feeling very sick. I was experiencing nausea, intense headache, weakness, and loss of appetite among other things. Personally I think I need some help because I am very confused. My doctor said having an STI (sexually transmitted infection) can cause PID but I am very sure that I don't have STI. I haven't done any test as yet but I plan to.