Sty - Prevention

Do you do anything special to prevent a sty?

Please select the white circle:

Can a sty be prevented?

The best prevention is to keep the eyelids and eyelashes clean. A diet high in omega-3 fatty acids is associated with improvement of meibomian gland function.

Return to Sty

Comment from: Randy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I routinely had sties through high school and they drove me crazy. It would start with the irritation, the swelling and so on. I went to an old family doctor for something else and as I was there he noticed the stye and said we can do something about that. He told me I have a riboflavin, B2 deficiency. I picked up some at the drug store and within a day or so, it was gone. I did not take a pill every day, but when I would start getting the symptoms, I would take a pill for a few days and no stye. I am now 65 and a couple days ago I woke up with the irritation on my right lower eye lid and sure enough, I had the small pimple thing starting. I immediately found my B2 pills and took one and after a couple days another one. As in the past, the stye did not develop and went away. It worked for me 50 years ago and this still works now.