Trigger Point Injection - Side Effects

What side effects did you experience with your trigger point injection?

What are complications and side effects of trigger point injections?

A potential complication from the trigger point injection procedure is post-injection pain. This is relatively uncommon, but it can occur. This pain usually resolves by itself after a few days. It is more common when no medication is injected into the trigger point (dry needling). Ice, heat, or over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium may be useful for post-injection pain.

If a steroid medication is injected into the trigger point, shrinkage of the fat under the skin can occur, leaving a dent in the skin. This does not occur when only anesthetic is injected without any steroid medication. Other side effects are rare with trigger point injections but can occur anytime a needle punctures the skin, including infection and bleeding.

Return to Trigger Point Injection

Comment from: Pam, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have extreme pain for two days after the trigger point injections. Then the pain is relieved for months. This is why I wait until I can"t stand the daily pain until I go in to treatment because I am even worse for two days. I feel like I"ve been in a car accident.

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had trigger point injections using Botox into the muscles on my left shoulder. The pain afterwards was pretty mean. I felt as if the muscles were "mad", for about two weeks. Afterwards, the knotted feeling and the muscle cramps were nearly gone.