Trigger Point Injection - Side Effects

What side effects did you experience with your trigger point injection?

Please select the white circle:

What are complications and side effects of trigger point injections?

A potential complication from the trigger point injection procedure is post-injection pain. This is relatively uncommon, but it can occur. This pain usually resolves by itself after a few days. It is more common when no medication is injected into the trigger point (dry needling). Ice, heat, or over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium may be useful for post-injection pain.

If a steroid medication is injected into the trigger point, shrinkage of the fat under the skin can occur, leaving a dent in the skin. This does not occur when only anesthetic is injected without any steroid medication. Other side effects are rare with trigger point injections but can occur anytime a needle punctures the skin, including infection and bleeding.

Return to Trigger Point Injection

Comment from: EB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a trigger point injection in my neck, became dizzy, fainted and had transient global amnesia for several hours, and woke up in emergency. Don't get it in your neck.

Comment from: Tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I get trigger point injections in my back, after an injury and surgery. My doctor uses an ultrasound to best find the points to inject. I receive about 12 injections per visit alternating between upper and lower back. I receive a shot of Toradol after, which helps with the pain the following day (without that it feels like I was beat up). One plus day of pain for 2 to 3 weeks of extremely diminished pain is so worth it! Just wish I could get my whole back done since the area not done feels even more painful against the contrasted pain free area.