Tinnitus - Remedies

What type of therapy or remedies have been effective in treating tinnitus?

Please select the black square:

Tinnitus retraining therapy

Tinnitus retraining therapy is a form of treatment that tries to retrain the nerve pathways associated with hearing to get the brain used to the abnormal sound. Habituation allows the brain to ignore the tinnitus noise signal, and it allows the patient to become unaware that it is present unless they specifically concentrate on the noise. This treatment involves counseling and the use of a sound generator that is worn. Audiologists and otolaryngologists (ear, nose and throat specialists) often work together in offering this treatment.

Return to Tinnitus

Comment from: asha iyer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I put both my thumbs behind the lower parts of both ears and pressed and lo! The noises went down and all other sounds too diminished as if I"d thrust ear plugs. It"s nice to find relief from tinnitus even for a few seconds, see, you can"t be sitting with your thumbs pressing your ears all the time.

Comment from: Go-Diva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

At age 73 I have collected a variety of incurables, tinnitus being the most annoying. My attempts to remove the noises have been many and varied, and my best removers of said noises are, a visit to the sea; apart from the fact that I love the sea it de-stresses me. And the best remedy is to use a Walkman and buy yourself some talking books, you can also borrow them from the libraries. More tablets will probably only cause different side effects that need sorting. I suppose we, should be happy that it is not a terminal illness.