Tinnitus - Treatment

What treatments have been effective in treating tinnitus?

What are the treatments for tinnitus?

Tinnitus is a common complaint, with up to 20% of Americans having experienced it. It is the most common symptom reported by military service members returning from combat, affecting up to 50% of individuals.

• Tinnitus may last for weeks or months, and then resolve spontaneously. For some people tinnitus it may last for years.
  • The tinnitus may be significant enough to interfere with an individual's activities of daily living. For this reason, treatment must also be directed at decreasing the effects of tinnitus on a person's daily life, such as depression, insomnia, etc.
  • For those people whose tinnitus is caused by an adverse or toxic reaction to a medication, stopping the drug may allow the hearing mechanism to recover; however, talk with your doctor before stopping any medication. Sometimes the adverse effects of medications on hearing may be permanent.
  • Electrical stimulation and repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation are some of the other treatment considerations available for certain individuals with tinnitus.
Return to Tinnitus

Comment from: Carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I tried a hundred different remedies for tinnitus and just about gave up hope. Here's my rundown of some of the better known treatments: Quietus is useless! It provided no relief and made me nauseous. Lipo-Flavonoid did seem to provide some relief but wasn't enough to justify the purchase. Tinniticil works well and makes my tinnitus very manageable. Arches works well enough but it requires you take too many pills.

Comment from: EdwinR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I started getting a soft ringing in my ears 3 months ago that won't go away. It has gotten louder and with different tones including the pulse. I have been to 2 great ENT surgeons. They have both checked me and said that this tinnitus can go the same way it came but it can also be around for a long time. My personal doctor just doesn't understand this tinnitus at all. Well, I did a little research in order to stay away from Xanax and came up with 2 non habit forming natural remedies that help me sleep. First is Calms Forte and the second is Coffea Cruda; they sure help me sleep at night. I hope this information can help someone. It is very difficult to live with tinnitus but you cannot give up. One of the doctors that saw me 2 months ago along several doctors in the USA are conducting a special research treatment for tinnitus. Let's hope this will help us in the future.