Tinnitus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with tinnitus?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of tinnitus?

• The sound of tinnitus may be constant or it may come and go intermittently.
  • It may be throbbing.
  • It may occur in one ear or in both ears.
  • Most often, the sound is a high pitched continuous tone, but it may also be described by the patient as a click, buzz, or a hum.
  • Tinnitus is often associated with hearing loss and the patient may complain of decreased hearing, even if the tinnitus is absent.
Return to Tinnitus

Comment from: Vivek, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

There was acute onset of ringing at night 2:30 am and I woke up. I had slight lack of sleep and was dreaming profoundly for few days. I recorded blood pressure (BP) 157/115 mmHG. I had numbness over pinna, unable to hear any sound from left ear. BP settled after few hours. Hearing recovered within 10 to 15 minutes. Sensation recovered after few months progressively. But a faint continuous ringing persisted since 1 year. I am having issues of feeling of dryness of soft palate a few weeks before the tinnitus. Also there was narrowing of the auditory canal while putting an ear bud to clean it since few years. Flickering in eustachian tube occurred intermittently after the episode. Now there is a feeling of something liquid flowing while lying, like gravity assisted along with mild ear pain (persists for few minutes and soon I turn my head for fear that it might increase).

Comment from: Chickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have had tinnitus in both ears since I was a child. I believe it is due to many ear infections when I was very young. The noises are constant. They sound like tones or pitches, sometimes I hear heartbeat in my right ear. The sounds are numerous with different pitches and volume all at once. I find it very difficult to concentrate. I have not had any treatment (yet). I have had hearing tests which show hearing loss.