Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count) - Cause

What was the cause of your high red blood cell count (polycythemia)?

Please select the white circle:

What causes polycythemia?

Causes of polycythemia are primary or secondary. In primary polycythemia, abnormalities in red blood cell production cause an increase in red cell count. In secondary polycythemia, external factors result in polycythemia.

Return to Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)

Comment from: Chuck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

Jak2 gene mutation was the cause of my polycythemia. I have flushed face, headache, red eyes, dizziness, hard time concentrating, fatigue, double vision and a pain/weakness in left arm. First diagnosis was migraines but treatment didn"t help. After further blood tests it was found that I have elevated red and white blood cells. Tests revealed it was primary polycythemia vera due to the Jak2 gene mutation. Interesting fact about that gene is its proper function is to turn your bone marrow on when you have a trauma like a loss of blood to quickly make up the difference of lost blood cells that"s why it produces both white and red.

Comment from: DBoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

My polycythemia has pushed me into thrombocythemia, too many platelets. I have had a blood clot and a stroke and I am thankful I can still work and live. This is also due to a Jak2 defect that causes my bone marrow to make too many red cells and the platelets try to keep up. When I had my stroke 14 years ago, my blood was thicker than Karo syrup.