Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Please select the black triangle:

What is eczema?

Rather than a specific condition, eczema is a group of unrelated diseases that have a similar appearance. When it is new eczema, the affected skin appears red and elevated with small blisters (vesicles) containing a clear fluid. When the blisters break, the affected skin will weep and ooze. In older eczema, chronic eczema, the blisters are less prominent and the skin is thickened, elevated, and scaling. Eczema almost always is very itchy.

Return to Eczema

Comment from: carmine, Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have suffered from hand eczema for three years and have tried many topical steroids, creams, and ointments; nothing stopped the plaques and cracks. My wife happened to talk to someone with the same problem who swore that Claritin cleared hers up. We had some generic Claritin at home, and after 10 days of daily use, my hands are free of flakes plaques and cracks. I plan on staying on this for about another month then seeing what happens. Hers never came back, so I'm hopeful. But at least I found something that works, is cheap, over the counter, and has no noticeable side effects, plus my morning sniffles are gone, too.

Comment from: itchygranny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

The itching wakes me up at night. The itching never stops. Sometimes it itches in four places at once and in places where it is very impolite to scratch. I have permanent eczema patches in my scalp, thumb creases, and left ear. I have been to four doctors, and they prescribe cortisone creams which work if applied consistently. Having this grease in my hair is disgustingly unfashionable. Worse yet, the itching and swelling increase exponentially when the temp is above 80 degrees F. One doctor told me to go live in a colder climate. I am a prisoner to air conditioning. I am retired, so I am able to go northward to spend summers. This whole thing runs my life.

Stay Informed!