Pregnancy Tests - Timing

How long after your missed period did you take a pregnancy test, and was it accurate?

Please select the white circle:

How soon after a missed period can I take a home pregnancy test and get an accurate result?

Many home pregnancy tests (HPTs) claim to be 99 percent accurate on the first day of your missed period. But research suggests that most HPTs do not always spot pregnancy that early. And when they do, the results are often so faint they are misunderstood. If you can wait one week after your missed period, most HPTs will give you an accurate answer. Ask your doctor for a more sensitive test if you need to know earlier.

Return to Pregnancy Test

Comment from: shilpa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

First pregnancy of mine was aborted because baby didn't have heart beat. After three months I became pregnant. But in 26 weeks I was delivered of my baby. Baby lived for ten days. Now we waited for next pregnancy for 11 months. I had my periods from September 23. Now I have missed periods for a month and a half, but my pregnancy test shows negative. Except vomiting all symptoms are there. I have done urine and blood tests but it shows negative.

Comment from: jesss21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I've been taking home tests once a week for 3 weeks since I missed my period, and I have all the symptoms but the test is negative.