Acute Bronchitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with acute bronchitis, and how long did they last?

What are the symptoms of acute bronchitis?

Coughing is the most common symptom of acute bronchitis. The coughing begins early in the disease and usually lasts about 10 to 20 days as it gradually subsides. About 50% of individuals have a productive cough with either clear, yellow, greenish, or occasionally blood tinged sputum. The other symptoms may include:

• sore throat,
  • nasal congestion,
  • headache,
  • muscle aches, and
  • fatigue.

Children may also have a runny nose and mild fever and gag or vomit mucus. If a person develops fever, shortness of breath, cyanosis or chest pain, they likely have another problem but not acute bronchitis.

Return to Bronchitis (Acute)

Comment from: ken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I got sick the day after Christmas, coughing and feeling rough. That night I coughed my head off, ribs and stomach muscles sore, etc. It was hard to get phlegm up but if I do it was clear then yellow back to clear. I had 6 different aggressive shots and 4 rounds of antibiotics. If I did much of anything I would cough, sweat a lot and be tired very easily. It is now the 25th of January and I still tire easily, and it is easy to get started coughing. I went to the doctor 4 times and once just for a pair of shots. It seemed every time I tried to do anything it whipped me again. I am an active person and never get down like this. I am not at all sure for a period I didn't have pneumonia. I feel better now but am not going to push myself very hard, which is hard because it makes me feel like a wimp. The bronchitis going around this winter 2014/15 is a cast iron bear.

Comment from: Baker Lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am in my second week of acute bronchitis, diagnosed by the emergency room doctor one week ago. It came on suddenly, cough with tremendous amount of mucus; I couldn't breathe; chest heaving. I had x-ray, blood work, and doctor examination. I was given prescriptions for inhaler with albuterol, a Z-Pak, and told to drink lots of water. By the 4th day, I went to see my doctor who gave me cough syrup and Mucinex, extra strength. That really cleared out mucus and the cough syrup helped me sleep. On day 10 I am finally feeling better, can eat a little, and sleep a little. This was caused by a virus or bacteria; no fever. At my age, it made me extremely sick.