Acute Bronchitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with acute bronchitis.

Please select the black triangle:

Acute bronchitis definition

Acute bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which are the airways that allow air to pass from your mouth to the lungs. It is a general term that describes inflammation of the bronchi that is usually caused by viruses or bacteria, although other things may also cause the disease are far less frequent. A cough lasting 5 or more days suggests acute bronchitis as a cause. People with recurrent acute bronchitis may develop chronic bronchitis. Chronic bronchitis is defined as a cough that occurs every day with sputum production that lasts for at least 3 months, 2 years in a row.

Return to Bronchitis (Acute)

Comment from: Snowy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My acute bronchitis started with a sudden onset of sore throat, difficulty in swallowing and just feeling punky. The annoying coughing soon followed while everything else continued, with a low grade fever too. By day 4 to 5 a visit to the doctors was needed to rule out strep throat. I continued with treatment for each symptom. The barking cough with phlegm, was going nowhere but the painful sore throat did subside after about 7 days. Getting sleep at night was number one priority. With cough medicine, cough suppressant, inhalers and lozenges, slowly improvement is seen.

Comment from: Dave1246, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have almost constant, violent coughing with wheezing or rattling in my chest. I cough so hard to get the mucous up but it wears me down trying. I am on 4 medicines including an inhaler, Z-Pak, prednisone and cough syrup. I can"t sleep. This bronchitis really wears you down and I"m only into day 3. I am not a smoker but very high pollen counts here in Charleston, South Carolina. I am hoping for a little rain to clear the air. I hope this helps someone who has this. Get up as much as you can. Drink a lot of fluids. Hot tea with a little lemon and honey seems to help.