Acute Bronchitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with acute bronchitis.

Acute bronchitis definition

Acute bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which are the airways that allow air to pass from your mouth to the lungs. It is a general term that describes inflammation of the bronchi that is usually caused by viruses or bacteria, although other things may also cause the disease are far less frequent. A cough lasting 5 or more days suggests acute bronchitis as a cause. People with recurrent acute bronchitis may develop chronic bronchitis. Chronic bronchitis is defined as a cough that occurs every day with sputum production that lasts for at least 3 months, 2 years in a row.

Return to Bronchitis (Acute)

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I thought it was a cold. I was coughing with very bad of phlegm. After 2 weeks I went to my doctor. She gave me antibiotic and prescription cough medicine. Well, the cough medicines didn't stop cough, but made me get up the phlegm. Well, it is worse in the night. Every night I cough for about 1 hour before I fall asleep. I get up to go to the bathroom and then am coughing again for about half hour till I fall asleep. It has been 5 weeks today, I just wish it would stop. I had this last year and it is awful. My conclusion is it is bronchitis. Doctor said my lungs are filled with phlegm. I don't wish this on any one, it drains you.

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had this hacking cough for 4 weeks now. I felt too ill to go to surgery, so doctor came to me. I had fevers and ached all over, and headache and sore eyes. He gave me penicillin and steroids. It damped things down a bit but the wheezy cough was still bad. I rang out-of-hours doctor, told him doxycycline had worked for bronchitis in the past. I have been taking it for 3 days now and still have thick mucus on chest, sometimes white sometimes yellow! I still feel really tired all the time and unwell. Life feels like it is going by without me, I can't wait to feel well again!