Gallbladder Pain - Treatment

How was your case of gallbladder pain treated?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment of gallbladder pain?

If you have no gallbladder pain (even if you have gallstones but never had pain), you need no treatment. Some patients who have had one or two attacks may elect to avoid treatment. Pain during an acute attack is often treated with morphine. The definitive treatment is to remove the gallbladder (and/or the obstructing gallstones) by surgery. Currently, the surgical method of choice is laparoscopic surgery, where the gallbladder is removed by instruments using only small incisions in the abdomen. However, some patients may require more extensive surgery. Usually, people do well once the gallbladder is removed.

Women who are pregnant are treated like women who are not pregnant, although pregnancy is a risk factor for cholesterol gallstone development. Although supportive care is tried in women who are pregnant, acute cholecystitis is the second most common surgical emergency in pregnancy (appendicitis is the first).

Return to Gallbladder Pain (Gall Bladder Pain)

Comment from: patticee, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My granddaughter had her gall bladder taken out by scope. When she was discharged, she no sooner got home from hospital and had to return to the emergency room. They discovered her liver was bleeding more than they supposedly thought. Yet, after a couple days of not eating and many tests, they decided that a rouge stone had gotten out and was creating the sickness again. I wonder how and where it goes out of system. They never brought the bleeding problem again.

Comment from: steverino, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I am a former emergency medical technician. My gallbladder frequently quits providing bile to the stomach, which in turn lets the food I ate sit in the stomach and ferment so to speak. The bile helps food breakdown and move it into the small intestines. The food sitting in my stomach begins to swell and this causes severe pain putting me on the floor. I have been to the emergency room with this and they could not diagnose it and since the gallbladder does not show swelling in the x-rays, they will not take it out. Sometimes I think the medical profession has quit thinking outside the box. Not all gallbladders are equal. I eat plenty of beets to help the gallbladder to keep functioning. They seem to be a super food for the gallbladder. My sister and brother have had their gallbladders removed because they showed the typical signs of swelling that most people experience. Thank you for the forum.