Vasectomy - Experience

Please describe your experience with vasectomy.

Vasectomy overview

A vasectomy (pronounced va-SEK-tuh-mee) is a surgical procedure performed as a method of birth control in men. It involves cutting the tubes (the vas deferens, pronounced VAS DEF-uh-renz) that carry sperm from the testicles.

Vasectomy is one of the most effective forms of birth control. Only about 15 of every 10,000 couples get pregnant in the year after the man has a vasectomy.

As part of a program of research on the safety and effectiveness of male contraceptives, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) supports studies and other activities advancing understanding of vasectomy.

Return to Vasectomy

Comment from: job, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my vasectomy 23/Jun/2014. After the anesthesia effect diminished I felt the pain of my life. It is like the doctor was stepping on my testicles. After 4 days the pain subsided and I could go back to work. I however had to sit at an angle because my testicles were still untouchable. Two weeks and the incision point was not healed I had taken two doses of antibiotics by then. I had to go back to the doctor after I found pus on my incision. A change of antibiotic worked for me after 2 additional weeks. The incision is now healed.

Comment from: Aukay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a vasectomy done 4 days ago. It took about 15 minutes. My testicles are a little sore and nothing else. I took only 3 pills for pain and a little bit of ice on it this morning. I'll give it a little bit of time and reassess.