Vasectomy - Experience

Please describe your experience with vasectomy.

Please select the black square:

Vasectomy overview

A vasectomy (pronounced va-SEK-tuh-mee) is a surgical procedure performed as a method of birth control in men. It involves cutting the tubes (the vas deferens, pronounced VAS DEF-uh-renz) that carry sperm from the testicles.

Vasectomy is one of the most effective forms of birth control. Only about 15 of every 10,000 couples get pregnant in the year after the man has a vasectomy.

As part of a program of research on the safety and effectiveness of male contraceptives, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) supports studies and other activities advancing understanding of vasectomy.

Return to Vasectomy

Comment from: TKR2013, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my vasectomy in 1980. I went to work 2 hours later with no problem. I haven"t had any pain or problems with the best decision I have ever made.