Shingles - Treatment

What was the treatment for your shingles?

What is the treatment for shingles?

The treatment for shingles is aimed at diminishing the effects of the virus, as well as pain management. There are several medications that can be used, and your doctor will discuss the best treatment options for your particular situation. The vast majority of cases of shingles can be managed at home. In some cases, people with an impaired immune system or individuals with severe symptoms and/or complications may require hospital admission.

Antiviral medications (medications used to combat viral infections) are used against the varicella zoster virus. These medications help shorten the course of the illness and decrease the severity of the illness. They may also help prevent the potential complications sometimes encountered with shingles. They are most effective when started within 72 hours of the first appearance of the rash. There are several antiviral medications that can be used, including acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex). In certain situations, intravenous (IV) antiviral medication may need to be administered.

Pain medication can be used to help relieve discomfort caused by the rash, which can sometimes be severe. For some individuals with mild pain, over-the-counter analgesics such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil) may be all that is needed. Individuals with more severe pain may require stronger opioid pain medication.

Over-the-counter antihistamine medication such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may help alleviate the localized itching.

The use of corticosteroid medications, such as prednisone, is controversial in the treatment of shingles.

Return to Shingles

Comment from: clay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I have suffered with shingles at least once a month for the last 45 years. After trying every doctor's advice, I came up with the only thing that helps; to apply Blistex ointment and cover with a large bandage (to prevent irritation). it really helps with the pain and they clear up in about 4 days.

Comment from: Robin33048, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

About 5 years ago I had shingles appear on the right side of my face. My family doctor, who was also a family friend, prescribed 15 Valtrex a day for me. He was afraid I was going to lose my sight. The pain was like a blow torch to my face, but the aggressive treatment stopped the blisters right away. I used triple antibiotic cream on the blisters for months and it numbed the horrible pain!