Thyroid Disorders - Hyperthyroidism

Please describe your experience with hyperthyroidism.

Please select the black triangle:

Hyperthyroidism

Hyperthyroidism describes excessive production of thyroid hormone, a less common condition than hypothyroidism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism usually relate to increased metabolism. In mild cases, there may not be apparent symptoms. Symptoms and signs of hyperthyroidism can include:

• Tremor
  • Increase in bowel movements
  • Increased sweating
  • Concentration problems
  • Unintentional weight loss

Some of the most common causes of hyperthyroidism are:

• Graves' disease
  • Toxic multinodular goiter
  • Thyroid nodules that overexpress thyroid hormone (known as "hot" nodules)
  • Excessive iodine consumption
Return to Thyroid Disorders

Comment from: Fast, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I learned I had hyperthyroidism on my own, while working in a lab; I tested my own blood. Then I went the doctors, and gave her my results. I started taking medication for it, but it made me too tired, so I stopped taking it. Its been about four years now, and I feel better; even tough my heart still races a little, but nothing like it did in the beginning. I went from approx. 130 lbs. to about 95 lbs., and I am now approx. 148 lbs.

Comment from: Bulldoggs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had no idea my hyperthyroidism was the cause of my anxiety type feelings. I was working out twice a day and eating 4 to 6 meals and not gaining a pound. I actually was losing 5-7 pounds a day working out until I just overheated after a workout and could not cool down after a couple of hours. Then came a massive headache and tremors and vision blurring. I was taken to the emergency room and diagnosed with a hyperthyroid. After meeting with the endocrinologist, we scheduled the surgery for removal by radiation.