Thyroid Disorders - Hypothyroidism

Please describe your experience with hypothyroidism.

Please select the white circle:

Hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism results from the thyroid gland producing an insufficient amount of thyroid hormone. It can develop from problems within the thyroid gland, pituitary gland, or hypothalamus. Symptoms of hypothyroidism can include:

• Fatigue
  • Poor concentration or feeling mentally "foggy"
  • Dry skin
  • Constipation
  • Feeling cold
  • Fluid retention
  • Muscle and joint aches
  • Depression
  • Prolonged or excessive menstrual bleeding in women

Some common causes of hypothyroidism include:

• Hashimoto's thyroiditis (an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation of the thyroid gland)
  • Thyroid hormone resistance
  • Other types of thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid), such as acute thyroiditis and postpartum thyroiditis
Return to Thyroid Disorders

Comment from: Ayers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have just recently started having a tingling in the left side of my neck. I am tired a lot, I itch all the time. I have migraines. My hear races then returns to normal. I am off balance, feel like I want to faint, but I don"t. I am depressed a lot lately and I feel hypotension, and anxiety. I am 59 years old and this is new to me.

Comment from: pinkmouse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was picked up by my general physician who recognized that I might have an under-active thyroid; when the test came back positive I was flabbergasted as I didn"t think I had a problem. She diagnosed me by sight! One smart lady doctor. This was 5 years ago following chemotherapy with interferon and ribavirin which does cause DNA damage and is also known to cause Hashimoto"s disease so probably not such a big surprise in retrospect. I won"t pretend that getting used to taking thyroxine has been plain sailing, but, and it is a big but, I find for me several factors help. 1) I keep my thyroxine in the fridge so it doesn"t deteriorate. 2) I go to the gym three times a week to keep fit and healthy plus eat clean, no junk food otherwise I feel sluggish. We are what we eat and you wouldn"t put 2 star in a high performance car so why do it to yourself. 3) I take my dose last thing at night so my stomach has a chance to be empty. 4) Regular blood work twice a year to ensure you are on an even keel but most people will know from their skin and hair how they are doing. 5) Take responsibility for your own health people, check your blood pressure and cholesterol levels don"t wait to be asked, be proactive it is your health. I thank that doctor for being alert but it is up to me to take care of business. This regime works for me but I wouldn"t force this on others.