Bursitis of the Knee - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs were associated with your knee bursitis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are knee bursitis symptoms and signs?

Bursitis can lead to varying degrees of swelling, warmth, tenderness, and redness in the overlying area of the knee. As compared with knee joint inflammation (arthritis), it is usually only mildly painful. It is frequently associated with increased pain when kneeling and can cause stiffness and pain with walking. Also, in contrast to problems within the knee joint, the range of motion of the knee is frequently preserved.

Return to Bursitis of the Knee

Comment from: DScott , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I'm a fit 70-year old male, 5 ft. 10 in. and 150 lbs. Right knee (prepatellar) bursitis reoccurs when I fail to "warm up" properly before using a quad-strengthening machine. Although I have used such weight machines regularly over the past 40 years, together with a lot of bicycling, I can actually feel the "pop" if I fail to warm up first. Right now, I've had 3 days of intense pain and tenderness along the lateral aspect of the knee cap, with nighttime stiffness and pain. Direct application of ice cubes and gentle castor oil massage (20 minutes, 5 to 6 times per day), 400 mg ibuprofen (3 to 4 times per day) and "working" the joint typically allow me to resume full use in a few days. The condition was diagnosed many years ago as gout. It's not, but bursitis and gout can be equally painful and both will restrict range of motion.

Comment from: Fernange., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

First time I got bursitis of the knee, it wasn"t painful at all. The inflammation came very slow and lasted about 8 months and went away by itself very slow as well. Yesterday it came back but fast, in about 2 hours I was in pain. I couldn"t sleep so I got up to reach for an electric pad but my body started shaking terribly. I guess my body temperature went down drastically, which made me think the bursa was internally infected. My whole body was now in pain (sort of flu symptoms). Tomorrow I"ll visit a rheumatologist for diagnosis.

Stay Informed!