Bursitis of the Knee - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs were associated with your knee bursitis?

What are knee bursitis symptoms and signs?

Bursitis can lead to varying degrees of swelling, warmth, tenderness, and redness in the overlying area of the knee. As compared with knee joint inflammation (arthritis), it is usually only mildly painful. It is frequently associated with increased pain when kneeling and can cause stiffness and pain with walking. Also, in contrast to problems within the knee joint, the range of motion of the knee is frequently preserved.

Return to Knee Bursitis

Comment from: Ali0808, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I went to a state park and in an effort to walk across a stream fell on my first step hard on my left knee. I had a huge gaping wound, lots of blood and bone bruise. I stopped the bleeding with a torn up trail map; not so good. I favored it for 5 weeks, did see my doctor a few days later, and then boom, swelling, intractable pain, and local fever! I was inpatient for 5 days, had 3 knee taps and IV Ancef. I'm really sick now from the oral antibiotics. Knee bursitis is nothing to be messed with.

Comment from: fyreman235, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

Pain began on top of the kneecap with just minor irritation to the touch. Gradually it increased to severe pain when bending the knee or walking. I saw an urgent care physician's assistant who suspected bursitis, but is sending to my general physician who will take it from there. I am expecting a cortisone shot. I do not remember injuring the knee, but I did play tennis 2 or 3 times a week before the pain began. I hope to be back on the court in a few days but might be dreaming.