Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

What are the causes of blood in the semen?

Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the male genitourinary system. Areas affected may include the bladder, urethra, the testicles, the tubes that distribute semen from the testicles (known as the seminal vesicles), the epididymis (a segment of the spermatic ducts that serves to store, mature, and transport sperm), and the prostate gland.

Blood in the semen is most commonly a result of a prostate gland biopsy. A majority of men who undergo a prostate biopsy may have some blood in their semen that persists for three to four weeks. Likewise, vasectomy can lead to bloody semen for about one week after the procedure.

In men with hematospermia who have not had a recent prostate biopsy or vasectomy, a number of benign and malignant conditions of the male genital system may be the cause. In many situations, no definitive cause is found.

The following conditions have been reported in association with hematospermia:

• Benign or malignant tumors of the prostate, bladder, testes, or seminal vesicles
  • Infections including, but not limited to, chlamydia, herpes, cytomegalovirus, and trichomoniasis
  • Inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis), epididymis (epididymitis), or urethra (urethritis)
  • Calculi (stones similar to kidney stones) in the seminal vesicles or prostate
  • Polyps in the urethra
  • Ejaculation duct obstructions
  • Metastatic cancers (that have spread from other sites in the body) located in the genitourinary system
  • Cysts, hemorrhage, or other abnormalities in the seminal vesicles
Return to Blood In Semen

Comment from: A patient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Several years ago I noticed that there was blood in my semen. It freaked me out and I quickly went in for a consultation with a urologist. After an exam, he asked me how often I ejaculated, and said that a male needs to ejaculate about four times a week to have a healthy prostate. As long as I have sex four times per week, I'm fine, less than that and many times I'll notice bloody semen.

Comment from: Franklin's Tower, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

This may not work for everyone for blood in semen but it worked for me. First I took a cycle of Cipro which dealt with any infection which may have been what caused it, but these other tips have also helped. I rested my prostate for 3 days and then don't ejaculate more than once every 24 to 48 hours. I used to do it every 12 hours or twice a day. I quit eating red meat. I still eat chicken, fish and pork but the cow has been put out to pasture. I drink tons of water. I walk at least 1 mile every day and sometimes more, but at least 1. I cut way back on my caffeine intake. Caffeine had previously been responsible for small stones in my semen that would form when I drank too much. I'm down to 1 ice tea a day. This has worked for me so far. I'm two months with no signs of blood. I've also started losing weight and have more energy. Blood in the semen can be scary and like I said this may not work for you, but it doesn't hurt sharing. Have a grateful day!