Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the causes of blood in the semen?

Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the male genitourinary system. Areas affected may include the bladder, urethra, the testicles, the tubes that distribute semen from the testicles (known as the seminal vesicles), the epididymis (a segment of the spermatic ducts that serves to store, mature, and transport sperm), and the prostate gland.

Blood in the semen is most commonly a result of a prostate gland biopsy. A majority of men who undergo a prostate biopsy may have some blood in their semen that persists for three to four weeks. Likewise, vasectomy can lead to bloody semen for about one week after the procedure.

In men with hematospermia who have not had a recent prostate biopsy or vasectomy, a number of benign and malignant conditions of the male genital system may be the cause. In many situations, no definitive cause is found.

The following conditions have been reported in association with hematospermia:

• Benign or malignant tumors of the prostate, bladder, testes, or seminal vesicles
  • Infections including, but not limited to, chlamydia, herpes, cytomegalovirus, and trichomoniasis
  • Inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis), epididymis (epididymitis), or urethra (urethritis)
  • Calculi (stones similar to kidney stones) in the seminal vesicles or prostate
  • Polyps in the urethra
  • Ejaculation duct obstructions
  • Metastatic cancers (that have spread from other sites in the body) located in the genitourinary system
  • Cysts, hemorrhage, or other abnormalities in the seminal vesicles
Return to Blood In Semen

Comment from: Batu, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My 18 years old mentally handicapped son recently had blood in his semen that appeared in his underpants. He is incapable of masturbating, so he has ejaculated twice in his life both with blood. Our urologist prescribed an antibiotic (levotiroksin) but we did not give him any because we read that, that particular antibiotic does not agree with the 4 anti-epileptics he is taking.

Comment from: Concernedcitizen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I'm thankful this dialogue exists. Thank you for sharing your stories. My story: Last night my partner and I were engaging in rough intercourse. When I went to ejaculate it was like bloody murder so to speak. Instantly the mood changed. We went to WebMD and instantly saw words like chlamydia and herpes and started accusing one another of infidelity. I saw my doctor this morning and brought him up to speed. And he said, "You broke a blood vessel as a result of rough sex. It happens often and should clear up shortly." I expressed my concerns about it being a result of a sexually transmitted disease (STD). He examined my genitals and said "If you had herpes or chlamydia it would be evident and that blood in the semen is really the end result of such STDs." However, as a precaution I have to visit radiology next week just to make sure no tumors are present. I know it's easier said than done but relax. In the meantime I need to check to see if blood in the semen is still present. I'm a bit scared to do so.