Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

What are the causes of blood in the semen?

Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the male genitourinary system. Areas affected may include the bladder, urethra, the testicles, the tubes that distribute semen from the testicles (known as the seminal vesicles), the epididymis (a segment of the spermatic ducts that serves to store, mature, and transport sperm), and the prostate gland.

Blood in the semen is most commonly a result of a prostate gland biopsy. A majority of men who undergo a prostate biopsy may have some blood in their semen that persists for three to four weeks. Likewise, vasectomy can lead to bloody semen for about one week after the procedure.

In men with hematospermia who have not had a recent prostate biopsy or vasectomy, a number of benign and malignant conditions of the male genital system may be the cause. In many situations, no definitive cause is found.

The following conditions have been reported in association with hematospermia:

• Benign or malignant tumors of the prostate, bladder, testes, or seminal vesicles
  • Infections including, but not limited to, chlamydia, herpes, cytomegalovirus, and trichomoniasis
  • Inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis), epididymis (epididymitis), or urethra (urethritis)
  • Calculi (stones similar to kidney stones) in the seminal vesicles or prostate
  • Polyps in the urethra
  • Ejaculation duct obstructions
  • Metastatic cancers (that have spread from other sites in the body) located in the genitourinary system
  • Cysts, hemorrhage, or other abnormalities in the seminal vesicles
Return to Blood In Semen

Comment from: Scared from blood, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

Thanks everyone for sharing. When I saw blood in my semen it really freaked me out! After many tests and experiments no cause was found. I had blood in my semen every few weeks, but not all the time. With no root cause identified by medical professionals, I tried several experiments on my own. I discovered that I was likely dehydrated each time I saw blood in my semen. Since then, I have ensured to stay more hydrated, particularly before sex. I have not had the blood since!

Comment from: moon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I have had blood in semen since 2004. Today it was all blood, coffee ground color. It never seems to go away. I did break my penis during sex in 2004. I have been to a doctor many times for it. There is never any pain with it. The sensation is always normal.