Blood in the Stool - Associated Symptoms

What symptoms did you have that occurred with rectal bleeding?

Please select the white circle:

What does rectal bleeding (blood in stool) mean?

Rectal bleeding (known medically as hematochezia) refers to the passage of red blood from the anus, often mixed with stool and/or blood clots. It is called rectal bleeding because the rectum lies immediately above the anus, but red blood in the stool indeed may be coming from the rectum, as discussed later, it also may be coming from other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.) The severity of rectal bleeding (i.e., the quantity of blood that is passed) varies widely. Most episodes of rectal bleeding are mild and stop on their own. Many patients report only observing a few drops of fresh blood that turns the toilet water pink or observing spots of blood on the tissue paper after they wipe. Others may report brief passage of a spoonful or two of blood. Generally, mild rectal bleeding can be evaluated and treated in the doctor's office without hospitalization or the need for urgent diagnosis and treatment.

Bleeding also may be moderate or severe. Patients with moderate bleeding will repeatedly pass larger quantities of bright or dark red (maroon-colored) blood often mixed with stool and/or blood clots. Patients with severe bleeding may pass several bowel movements or a single bowel movement containing a large amount of blood. Moderate or severe rectal bleeding can quickly deplete a patient's body of blood, leading to symptoms of weakness, dizziness, near-fainting or fainting, and signs of low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension (a drop in blood pressure when going from the sitting or lying position to the standing position). Rarely, the bleeding may be so severe as to cause shock from the loss of blood. Moderate or severe rectal bleeding usually is evaluated and treated in the hospital. Patients with signs and symptoms of a reduced volume of blood often require emergency hospitalization, and transfusion of blood.

Return to Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)

Comment from: booh, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I am bleeding from the anus, bright red and often in large amounts. I think I have hemorrhoids too.

Comment from: Endang, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

When I went to toilet I tried to push harder to get the stool out and I felt pain at the anus and then I saw fresh red blood also came after the stools. But it stopped after I cleaned it, then I felt a bit of pain in the bottom but for a short while. And this was 3 days ago and today I saw also a bit of blood, maybe just a drop. I never have had anything like that before, but I know it is because I pushed it so hard.