Blood in the Stool - Diseases Causes

Which one of these were the cause of your case of rectal bleeding, and please describe your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What diseases and conditions can cause blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?

Many diseases and conditions can cause rectal bleeding. Common causes include:

• Anal fissures
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Cancers and polyps of the rectum and colon
  • Diverticulosis
  • Abnormal blood vessels in the lining of the intestines (angiodysplasia)
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Ulcerative proctitis
  • Crohn's colitis
  • Infectious colitis
  • Ischemic colitis
  • Meckel's diverticula

As discussed previously, it also is possible for "rectal bleeding" to be coming from the stomach and duodenum, primarily from ulcers, cancers, and angiodysplasias.

Return to Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)

Comment from: Naveed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

Bright red blood came after the bowel movement. I had no pain. It happened first time yesterday and today. I have no history.

Comment from: DElliott, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

When I started having rectal bleeding, it was bright red and it looked like I was on my period. I actually thought I had started my period and put a pad on. Then I went to wipe and it wasn't my period. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was told it was just hemorrhoids, to eat more fiber and to not strain with a bowel movement. It seemed to go away a couple of days later. Then about a year later, the bleeding started again. This time I went to my regular doctor and asked for a referral to a gastroenterologist. After my exam, the doctor decided to schedule me for a colonoscopy. It turned out I had a polyp. He cauterized it and I was good to go. Now it is 4.5 years later and I am having the same bleeding (bright red) as before. The only difference is that I am also passing thin clots as well. Now with this time as well as before, I would bleed without a bowel movement. I would bleed with one as well, but the majority is just when I am urinating. Also, I am only 33 years old.