Blood in the Stool - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in the stool.

Definition of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)

Rectal bleeding (hematochezia, the medical term) is used to describe the presence of blood with a bowel movement. That blood, whether it fills the commode, or is a streak on the toilet paper when wiping, or just a few drops in the toilet bowl, is not a normal finding and should not be ignored. The source of bleeding can be anywhere in the digestive tract, from the nose and mouth to the rectum and anus. The color can range from bright red to maroon to black or any shade in between, depending on how much the blood has been exposed to the digestive juices.

Anytime there is blood within the gastrointestinal system, it will eventually be excreted in stool (feces, bowel movement, BM). The color of stool will depend upon the amount of blood, the source of the bleeding and how quickly the stool moves through the digestive tract.

Sometimes, the bleeding is too little to be seen by the naked eye but can be tested for by the health care professional.

Return to Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)

Comment from: Darren, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a fissure that had me contemplating suicide (kidding, not really). It was medication related (constipation and giant stool and straining) and it was killing me for six months; like razor blades every time. I eventually got over that. This was years ago. I do have hemorrhoids (some in, some out, not crazy though). I have filled the bowl with darkish blood every so often for years. I do drink a few vodka each night and in the last month have started having pain in the anus like somebody is holding a cutting torch back there. Not while I have bowel movement but before or after and it's debilitating. I sometimes get this pain without even going to the toilet. But it's not every time. I don't think it's a fissure this time but it is near as painful. My worry is colon cancer. I have been checked before and was fine. Just looking for a possible reason. I work hard every day and hate to give up my few drinks a night.

Comment from: chica, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been undiagnosed for nearly 4 years. My symptoms started with pain in lower left pelvic area, indigestion, heartburn, fever, pencil thin stools, loss of weight, hair falling out, brain fog, I was unable to have sex, and feeling very ill. I then went through years of diarrhea. Now I've still got pain in same place and indigestion after meals or even on empty stomach, and swollen stomach with weight gain. Bowel movement is getting better but this morning there was bright red blood in bowel movement.