Blood in the Stool - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in the stool.

Please select the black square:

Definition of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)

Rectal bleeding (hematochezia, the medical term) is used to describe the presence of blood with a bowel movement. That blood, whether it fills the commode, or is a streak on the toilet paper when wiping, or just a few drops in the toilet bowl, is not a normal finding and should not be ignored. The source of bleeding can be anywhere in the digestive tract, from the nose and mouth to the rectum and anus. The color can range from bright red to maroon to black or any shade in between, depending on how much the blood has been exposed to the digestive juices.

Anytime there is blood within the gastrointestinal system, it will eventually be excreted in stool (feces, bowel movement, BM). The color of stool will depend upon the amount of blood, the source of the bleeding and how quickly the stool moves through the digestive tract.

Sometimes, the bleeding is too little to be seen by the naked eye but can be tested for by the health care professional.

Return to Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)

Comment from: lopie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I've been having terrible pain inside my but by my tailbone for years which is sometimes unbearable and have no clue what it is. I also have blood in my stools and just lately there is much more blood. I'm 31 years old and already had a colonoscopy and X-rays a few years ago which turned up nothing. My doctor thought it may be internal hemorrhoids or tears but there's no visible evidence of either.

Comment from: steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I've had ulcerative colitis for 7 years and have had different medicines, treatments over the years and l find none of them help as l bleed frequently. I'm on a pretty good diet of steamed vegetables and cooked fruit which does help.