Blood in the Stool - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in the stool.

Rectal bleeding (blood in stool) facts

• Rectal bleeding is the passage of blood through the anus.
  • The bleeding may result in bright red blood in the stool, maroon colored or black stool. The bleeding also may be occult (not visible with the human eye).
  • The common causes of rectal bleeding include anal fissure, hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, colon cancer and polyps, colonic polyp removal, angiodysplasias, colitis, proctitis, and Meckel's diverticula. Rectal bleeding also may be seen with bleeding that is coming from the stomach, duodenum, or small intestine.
  • Rectal bleeding may not be painful; however, other symptoms that may accompany rectal bleeding are diarrhea, and abdominal cramps due to the blood in the stool.
  • Rectal bleeding is commonly evaluated and treated by gastroenterologists and colorectal or general surgeons. The origin of rectal bleeding is determined by history and physical examination, anoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, radionuclide scans, visceral angiograms, and blood tests.
  • Rectal bleeding is managed by correcting the low blood volume and anemia if present with blood transfusions, determining the site and cause of the bleeding, stopping the bleeding, and preventing rebleeding.
  • Rectal bleeding can be prevented if the cause of the bleeding can be found and definitively treated, for example, by removing the bleeding polyp or tumor. In addition, there it may be appropriate to search for additional abnormalities, for example, polyps or angiodysplasias that have not yet bled but may do so in the future. This may require either gastrointestinal endoscopy or surgery.
Return to Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)

Comment from: Darren, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a fissure that had me contemplating suicide (kidding, not really). It was medication related (constipation and giant stool and straining) and it was killing me for six months; like razor blades every time. I eventually got over that. This was years ago. I do have hemorrhoids (some in, some out, not crazy though). I have filled the bowl with darkish blood every so often for years. I do drink a few vodka each night and in the last month have started having pain in the anus like somebody is holding a cutting torch back there. Not while I have bowel movement but before or after and it's debilitating. I sometimes get this pain without even going to the toilet. But it's not every time. I don't think it's a fissure this time but it is near as painful. My worry is colon cancer. I have been checked before and was fine. Just looking for a possible reason. I work hard every day and hate to give up my few drinks a night.

Comment from: chica, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been undiagnosed for nearly 4 years. My symptoms started with pain in lower left pelvic area, indigestion, heartburn, fever, pencil thin stools, loss of weight, hair falling out, brain fog, I was unable to have sex, and feeling very ill. I then went through years of diarrhea. Now I've still got pain in same place and indigestion after meals or even on empty stomach, and swollen stomach with weight gain. Bowel movement is getting better but this morning there was bright red blood in bowel movement.