Toothache - Experience

How did you cope with your toothache?

Please select the black triangle:

What is a toothache?

A toothache is pain that occurs in or around a tooth. The pain usually comes from within a tooth or the surrounding gum and bone structures. The pain can be from more than one tooth. Toothache pain is usually felt as a constant or intermittent ache that does not go away. A toothache can be stimulated by temperature changes such as exposure to cold drinks or pressure on the tooth while chewing. In other instances, a tooth can arise spontaneously without any stimulation.

It's hard to ignore a bothersome aching tooth while eating or going about one's day. While a toothache is bothersome, it is a way for the offending tooth or area to make one aware that it needs some attention and care.

Return to Toothache

Comment from: nutra777, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have an extreme fear of dentists. So whenever I need anything done, which is usually extractions, I have to make an appointment with an oral surgeon. A month ago I made an appointment and I am 4 days away from seeing him. I have three molars on the top and bottom all on the left side. I have been taking antibiotics for six days now to keep the infection to a minimum. The excruciating pain I'm experiencing is due to so many exposed nerves. The entire left side of my face, neck, head, and especially my ear, is killing me. My dentist gave me hydrocodone but that only decreases the pain for about 2 hours. I've been taking a lot of ibuprofen and am sacrificing my stomach in order to get relief in my mouth. I've also used Orajel an ointment for severe toothache. It works but again my stomach gets upset by it. I have found that everything I put in my mouth must be room temperature. I thought a cup of coffee would help ease the pain but it made it more severe. I've got 4 very painful days to go! I am avoiding the hospital like the plague.

Comment from: deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I noticed someone else said they brush then take some hydrogen peroxide and hold it in their mouth on the side of the pain, then swish it around and spit out, making sure not to swallow any (because I believe it could be poisonous). I've always done this along w/Tylenol and had it work. It usually takes at least 5 or 6 times, depending how long you have let the pain go. I've learned to start doing this as soon as I think I'm getting one of these pain outbreaks. Make sure you don't eat or drink anything sweet during this time. I usually get this way when I have had a lot of sweets, like soda or a sinus problem which I'm going through now. Good luck